Author Topic: Formatting SD cards  (Read 1571 times)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Formatting SD cards
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:46:46 »
I recently came across the web site of the SD Card Association, and it includes a formatting program.  I had a nice 32 gigabyte Sandisk Extreme that packed up completely a couple of years ago,  refusing even to be reformatted by camera or computer, but when I ran this program it came back to life.  Supposedly it might also speed up older cards that have bogged down after many uses.  Might be worth a try if you have a card or cards that no longer work well.

I've been putting the rejuvenated card through its paces for a couple of days, and so far so good.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Formatting SD cards
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:31 »
I read about this SD Association utility a few years back. I format my SD cards with this utility and then format them again in my cameras. The SD utility has various features and formats to SD Association standards. I believe the camera only erases the file list and adds a few items the camera wants to see. I only use the SD utility ocationally or if I think the card has been corrupted. 

Maybe another way of saying this is the SD utility does a "real format" while the camera does a "quick format." I use the SD Association utility in preference to Windows' and MAC's built-in utilities.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 16:12:55 »
I only use the format feature provided by the camera body. I don't really see the advantage of proceeding differently; this gives you also a chance to recover images from an erroneously formatted memory card.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 16:45:39 »
I have generally only used the camera's format feature as well, but the SD utility seems able to get a little deeper into a card that has gone wrong.  I wouldn't bother if the card is not causing problems, but it seems like a good resource to have around.  Of course with cards so relatively cheap these days, I don't think I'd put important images on any card that caused problems, but so far this one seems useable.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 17:15:53 »
Matthew, sorry, I completely overlooked the point that the card was already in trouble 😏
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν