Author Topic: Seattle, Washington USA  (Read 3988 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Seattle, Washington USA
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:25 »
Been a Nikon user for many years.  Split between landscapes, family, and travel photography.

Currently have D800 +
16/3.5 AI (three of them!)
20/2.8 AIS
20/2.8D (needs to be sold)
45/2.8AI-P (x2)
55/3.5 Micro + PB6 Belows/PS-6 Holder
105/2.5 AIS
135/2 AIS
135/3.5 AIS
400/5.6 ED AI (looking for a 2nd copy)
Hopefully something longer soon!
17-35/2.8D AFS
50/1.8G AFS
70-200/4G AFS

Plus a 135/2 APO Ziess (ZF.2)
180/4 CV SL
180/3.4 APO Telyt (Leitax'ed to F-mount)

And a bunch of m43 gear

- John
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Seattle, Washington USA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:33 »
Welcome on board, John.

Three * 16/3.5, that is pretty impressive. You qualify as hard-core by beating me in the number of 16 fishes (only have 2 myself ...).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:07 »
"Hardware Hardcore" --- impressive category.

Welcome Aboard!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 15:53:35 »
Welcome on board, John.

Three * 16/3.5, that is pretty impressive. You qualify as hard-core by beating me in the number of 16 fishes (only have 2 myself ...).

Thanks Bjorn - Yes I have three 16/3.5's because I know I'll drop one out in the mountains sometime during a lens change and I've already have had to send one in for cleaning due to dust.  Best fisheye I've tried and, as you know, there are no spare parts.  Heck, I couldn't even get Nikon to clean it - had to send it in to APS who did a great job.  I also managed to snag an extra lens hood because that will get dropped sometime too.

Currently looking for a 2nd 400/5.6 ED AI and a decent copy of a 300/4.5 ED AI.

Nice to be on a Nikon-centric site!

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 15:54:22 »
"Hardware Hardcore" --- impressive category.

Welcome Aboard!

Thanks Frank!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 16:13:42 »
My brother lives in Seattle. Developer at Microsoft.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 16:16:05 »
Just a tiny correction: yes, the NG [Revival] site continues proudly onwards in the true tradition of the old site, before said site lost its foundation and support. However, despite many members are using Nikons of all kinds, there are plenty of other members who are into other brands. We respect people's choice and thus are entirely brand agnostic.

Nobody will bat an eyelid if you praise your Nikon, or Canon, or Sony, or ,... the list goes on. Just don't start to think one brand  or technology is superior to everything else.

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 16:22:03 »
Just a tiny correction: yes, the NG [Revival] site continues proudly onwards in the true tradition of the old site, before said site lost its foundation and support. However, despite many members are using Nikons of all kinds, there are plenty of other members who are into other brands. We respect people's choice and thus are entirely brand agnostic.

Nobody will bat an eyelid if you praise your Nikon, or Canon, or Sony, or ,... the list goes on. Just don't start to think one brand  or technology is superior to everything else.
Duly noted.  Well, I (will) have an A7RII, plus lot's of m43 gear to talk about.  I use my Nikkors on these bodies as well.

Never been a person who was content with just one system - I like to have the right tool for the job, though I'm an engineering consultant by day and photo enthusiast (much to the consternation of my family) by night.

Looking forward to getting some of my MF Nikkors chipped with the new batch of CPUs I think you are going to have made up.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 16:23:23 »
I'm dealing with the subcontractors right now ....

Feel free to discuss any system or gear here at NG, as long as there is some kind of photographic relevance to it. Brand bashing is in strict violation with site guidelines though. Any system should be evaluated from its own point of reference.

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 23:29:07 »
I'm dealing with the subcontractors right now ....

Feel free to discuss any system or gear here at NG, as long as there is some kind of photographic relevance to it. Brand bashing is in strict violation with site guidelines though. Any system should be evaluated from its own point of reference.

If you look at my posts over on FM or dpreview I tend to be a logical moderating influence on the discussions . . . .  I love comparing systems, bodies, lenses with those capable of non-fan-boy constructive discussion.

Site looks good so far!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 23:33:39 »
@Bjørn: We may claim to be "NG reviva"l but we are in fact "NG revival on speed, acid and H".

Things are moving too fast at the moment. we have to calm down to normal.

Look at the statistics. We obviously are in a rush:

Bjørn Rørslett    612
elsa hoffmann    398
Frank Fremerey    349
Erik Lund    233
Gary    222

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 23:53:42 »
Coffee and the occasional beer still work wonders for me, Frank ...

One can compare lenses but entire systems are less fruitful. There simply are so many misleading ways such comparisons can be conducted and to be entirely frank, many of the comparisons published on thge internet are obviously flawed and never would qualify for publishing in any reviewed  journal. One actually pushes the data interpretation and conclusions onto an unprepared audience. You can "prove" almost anything by crafting the comparisons accordingly. The NG web site will not be a vehicle for those discussions. Accept and respect any user's choice of tools. If a system is reviewed, let it be its own reference.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 11:06:42 »
I think the final proof of the pudding is large or huge prints.

But and there I am of the same opinion as you Bjørn. In a print based test it is not only the machinery that is tested but also the ability of the user to handle the machinery.

It is very much like it is with Wine: share the same harvest among three wine makers and you get three different wines from the same grapes.

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 17:56:26 »
And here is a picture of me . . . . self portrait with the 16/3.5 AI

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 18:16:28 »
With a coverage this wide, selfies should not be too difficult :D

The nice handling of sunshine by the 16 Fish is evident as well. No wonder you smile ...