Author Topic: D500 battery drain persists  (Read 9984 times)

chambeshi

Re: D500 battery drain persists
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:11 »
Not using VR
battery drains when in standby mode I not being used
Using battery in body - grip taken off
Bluetooth/wi fi is off when you enable Airplane mode - double checked

Hi Elsa
I find using VR and AFC on my D500 doesn't appear to pull too much (as gauged by times to recharge). If you have optimized C2, C4, D9, then another function to turn off is Touch-Screen (although one gets used to its conveniences).
Do you have 1 or more spare D500 capable batteries? If so, does each drain relatively fast?

hope you succeed in sorting out stamina of this wearied toy-boy :-) the D500 sure does deliver!
woody

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:37 »
Elsa- Mine does not have that problem. I'm using all -20 batteries and have wi-fi off. If you'd like, this weekend I'll go through all my settings and post a complete list. If you configure your camera identically to mine and the battery still discharges rapidly, that would seem to indicate a hardware problem, which Nikon would need to fix. But, if the problem goes away, then it must have been your settings, and you can change one setting at a time back to your settings and observe the effect on battery drain until you identify the setting or settings causing the problem. Let me know if you'd like me to get the list of settings together.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 13:43:37 »
Woody - I have 2 batteries - busy testing them. Read somewhere to leave battery out for a couple of hours - which I did last night. Put in this morning  - left camera on - and its still at 100% (but I havent taken a shot - just left it on)
Will finish this battery over the weekend and then try the other one to see what is happening

Arthur - MANy thanks for the offer. Let me see how it goes this weekend before I make a call.

Also - it is 38degrees C here today - I am so NOT inclined t go out and shoot!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 05:22:12 »
Now tested both batteries - and without using the cameras, they both held their charge. Which is what is required.
Obviously I will need to keep a check on the situation - as Thursday's drain was totally unacceptable.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 10:08:48 »
The first image is already familiar to me on Facebook.  :)

Hope your D500 is die-hard.  :D

the dye goes off after a while...

good choice of camera, Elsa!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:48 »
Thanks Frank. Time will tell - especially with Nikon's latest crap with some bodies

chambeshi

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 15:20:04 »
Something important to check on older batteries - Nikon's official statement on EN EL15 batteries wrt voltage etc

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000038557&configured=1&lang=en_GB&setRedirect=true

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 15:42:58 »
Something important to check on older batteries - Nikon's official statement on EN EL15 batteries wrt voltage etc

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000038557&configured=1&lang=en_GB&setRedirect=true

Thanks Woody - the first thing I checked.