Author Topic: Sony a9 "overheating" Issue -- the a9 under a Flir thermal scope  (Read 1552 times)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuY--ncrS_4
The heat is distributed very evenly and quoting Ken, it's merely 5 degrees above other bodies such as the D500 and the xt2.
There was no temperature warning sign, it did not shut down, it was set for 4k recording.
This is good news for Sony and for us. On one hand, Nikon and Canon can up their games and stop their silly "too big to fail so we will give users a tiny upgrade" attitude; on the other hand, Sony shooters finally have a reliable fast camera (still need time to tell if there's other problems, but I'm willing to assume it's all good). The one aspect Sony needs to focus on is fast telephoto primes. A 100-400 sunshine lens isn't good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elZ_GSotP30
This other person had 2 bodies overheat, I think he used the same lens of his own on both bodies.
So either both cameras were a defect, OR the culprit is in his camera lens.

:) Congrats Sony.
Hope this post is objective enough.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V3 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
More heat = more noise.

Plus, it is not "merely" 5 degrees hotter, because 5 degrees is 25% of the gradient between the other cameras and an 80F ambient temperature. 

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
it's the hottest camera in town :o :o :o

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
So Sony makes a beast of a sports camera and they complain about overheating while filming :o  :o :o

Perfect fodder for the exposure of the "reviewer" I guess, those who know better already use the a7S(II) to shoot 4k at insane ISO values (like the BBC with Planet Earth).
Cheers,
Jan Anne