Author Topic: Google ceases to develop Nik Collection  (Read 6480 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Google ceases to develop Nik Collection
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:59:32 »
Sorry about this, but not at all unexpected.  Nik Collection had never been compatible with Winows 10 "officially" since Nik had been bought by Google, even though the software did work on Win 10.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9649959407/google-will-no-longer-develop-nik-collection
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Google ceases to develop Nik Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:35 »
Oh if only were Google to acquire Win10 - then future would bring hopes :D

On my one and only Win10 [test] installation, the members of the current Nik collection live happily though.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:39:42 »
Oh if only were Google to acquire Win10 - then future would bring hopes :D

Well, maybe I don't want Win 10 to become like Android...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:11 »
Frankly, I don't mind Win10 going down the Dinosaur Lane :D

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 15:23:02 »
Silverefex is a plugin I still use and I can not replicate the results successfully with any other of the tools I have

Writing was on the wall, still, sad to see it happen

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 15:51:08 »
In the unlikely event of further Adobe updates prevent using the Nik plugins in Photoshop etc., there are always the free-standing EXEs to use. They do come in 32- and 64-bit flavours too, so should work for a long time yet. Overall work flow might be a little less smooth, but results will remain the same.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 17:01:13 »
Well, PC users take heart! Macphun software is coming to PC's. No, I have not used it on a PC, nor do I have any connection with them beyond being a user.

http://tinyurl.com/y93ahs6m

I have been trying out Luminar on my Mac as a PS/LR plugin, and I really like how it handles noise. Better, IMO, than Nik. In fact, I like the way it displays edits as overall. Free trial period, of course.

Seriously, when Nik became free for all comers, that was it's death knell. How long does anyone think Google (or anyone else) is going to support software that can't support itself? IOW, there's no money in it.
Carl

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 17:30:05 »
In the unlikely event of further Adobe updates prevent using the Nik plugins in Photoshop etc., there are always the free-standing EXEs to use. They do come in 32- and 64-bit flavours too, so should work for a long time yet. Overall work flow might be a little less smooth, but results will remain the same.
Yup, that is how I used it before having LR / PS , opened developed TIFs with the Executables
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 18:03:34 »
I don't like to use Nik plugins, just too slow to save and load the tiffs but I do use them as my preferred black and white conversion method. Slow, but good results. I'm still very upset about NX2 discontinuation as it was much faster to use control points and black and white conversion back then.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 21:23:00 »

I'm still very upset about NX2 discontinuation

Me too, Ilkka.
The NX2 color point thing was the singularly most useful editing software I've ever owned.

Maybe Nikon can "take back" the Nik plugins and continue NX2? Wouldn't that be wonderful??

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 21:51:56 »
I'm still very upset about NX2 discontinuation

Me too, Ilkka.
The NX2 color point thing was the singularly most useful editing software I've ever owned.

Maybe Nikon can "take back" the Nik plugins and continue NX2? Wouldn't that be wonderful??

If history is any guide, I would not hold my breath waiting for Nikon to get serious about software. That they are willing to let others take the lead in rendering the images from Nikon bodies instead of being the leader at it themselves is amazing to me.
Carl

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 21:56:29 »
To be fair, Nikon is not the only offender on the software thing. Fuji, Pentax & Sigma have given us truly horrible SilkyPix apps. These days, I think all the camera manufacturers are just "letting Adobe do it". Doesn't seem like there is anything to do about it. Sigh.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 22:10:58 »
To be fair, Nikon is not the only offender on the software thing. Fuji, Pentax & Sigma have given us truly horrible SilkyPix apps. These days, I think all the camera manufacturers are just "letting Adobe do it". Doesn't seem like there is anything to do about it. Sigh.

Sure there is, they could form a partnership and supply Adobe, or whomever, with more of the proprietary info that they keep under wraps. I hear what you're saying about other camera companies, but then you can't justify bad decisions by pointing to others doing the same things. Then too, since I'm a Nikon shooter, I don't care if other camera companies screw themselves up.

Yeah, I have these daydreams from time to time...... ;D
Carl

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 22:15:51 »
Carl, I'm hanging onto my old Mac with old OSX for dear life because I can still run NX2 on it. For the newer Nikons (like the D750), I convert in Photo Ninja and then take the TIF to NX2 for my typical edits with color points and other NX2 tools. This is rather tedious, but whatcha gonna do?? I can't keep it up forever though.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 22:25:35 »
Everybody has their favorite editing program. It's the pits when it suddenly dies, like Aperture, or the company goes south, like Nik. I always liked the color rendering in NX, but I prefer the workflow of ACR. Different strokes for..........
Carl