Author Topic: Using an ES-1 Slide Copier to Digitze Slides  (Read 13647 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Using an ES-1 Slide Copier to Digitze Slides
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 15:32:32 »
Last one for today, have to go back to work. Fuji Sensia100 push developed to 1600ASA (all shots FM-2n & 1.4/50mm Ai at f/1.4, because light levely were so low):

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 16:19:24 »
Super, Peter. Do you know who took these shots?

My grandfather. He passed away in 1989 at the age of 85 years. So I can't pass the compliments to him. One thing that surprised me how he always took his photos from either below or at eye level. He was close to 2m tall so he had to ben his knees for that. He got a good eye, I think. Here are some more (in BW because I need to do some color corrections).

I still have to process lots of slides of photos taken by him, my dad and myself. I thought about renting a pro scanner but from this thread it is my understanding that it is best to continue using the ES-1 and the
Peter

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 16:30:08 »
I think there is virtue in not converting to black and white even if colors are slightly off. I think color gives a dimension to the past which is often lost in black and white, so color, even if faded, shifted or wrong from the start, is worth preserving if it was in the original image.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 16:39:30 »
I think there is virtue in not converting to black and white even if colors are slightly off. I think color gives a dimension to the past which is often lost in black and white, so color, even if faded, shifted or wrong from the start, is worth preserving if it was in the original image.

You are right. In hindsight I should have used the color versions (especially for the first one), Unfortunately one got lost so I need to rescan that one. These are the color versions:

Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 16:56:38 »
Superb collection, Peter!

Jack: It depends. Look at the Computer Pioneer Weizenbaum (known for ELIZA) in Color and black and white. He is dead for a while so most customers order the shot as black and white although I always offer the colour version too. Most of my Computer Pioneer Collection was taken on black and white film anyway...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 00:48:34 »
You need longer focal length. That is the way to get less magnification when the minimum extension is set.

thanks Asie. Had not thought of that. Mongo simply thought that wider angle lens means less magnification. Have not tried any of these variations except the set-up Mongo posted and on a full frame. There is a lot of "play" and adjustment possible in the twin bellow set-up of the PB-5 and the fact that the slide holder also moves substantially closer and further from the focal plan which may make up for some of the short comings of focal length the lens. Will try the 40mm in any event if opportunity presents itself to see what happens.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 01:44:41 »
Peter, that 2nd one is amazing in color! The colors really complement the image well
Buddy

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 02:42:27 »
Has anyone used a 105/4.0 Bellows Nikkor or similar enlarging lens?
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Krishna Kodukula

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 03:26:18 »
Dear Mongo, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please feel better. God speed in your recovery.

Frank, Asie, Buddy - great comments all around and very helpful discussion. Thank you all.

K.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 07:07:36 »

I have a pb4 and PS4 along with a 105mm macro Elmar and a Fuji 75mm enlarging lens which I hope to use this weekend to see how it works out. I have high hopes for the enlarging lens due to flatness of field design.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 03:49:06 »

The EL nikkor lens range is far cheaper for the similar focal lengths.

I also prefer and use the PB-4 plus PS-4 attachment.
About 7 years ago I had a project in mind to digitise a few hundred old slides my parents captured in the 50-60's(mainly Kodachromes), so I located the PB-4 and attachment.
But after a week or two of testing with some of my own film slides and found a useful lens to use(Tamron 28-75/2.8), I then went up to collect the suitcase full of mounted slides ... only to find out that they were all thrown out!
Sis found the suitcase, opened it to find mouldy slides .. and threw them out.

Some people have no idea!

Anyhow, my initial playing with the D300 I found the Tamron zoom lens to be more than adequate on the PB-4
Eventually, I got the D800 and initially tried to use the 50/1.2 with no real improvement, but reverted back again to the Tamron.
Still yet to get a proper macro lens for it, and the 105/4 bellows lens has always interested me .. but I found a few EL Nikkors 75, 105 and 135 for decent money .. so went with them.
Never had much of a chance to use them all that much tho .. and what little I did, I can't recall if they work any better than what the Tamron lens got me.
Arthur

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2017, 07:18:13 »
I have a 105/4.0 AI Micro which is the same optic as the 105/4.0 Bellows Nikkors but without the minimum 105mm extension at infinity. The less distance the lens is from the rear bayonet of the PB-4 the room there is for positioning the PS-4.

I've got av135/5.6 EL-Nikkor mounted with 52mm female threads at both ends. I think I have a 100/5.6 Componon-S also. My 75 is a 75/4.0 EL-Nikkor which isn't on of the better EL-Nikkors.

Now if I can get some time I can do more than talk trash. :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2017, 08:22:06 »
The Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-D 1X f/4 works well.  39mm thread mount, cheaply adaptable to Nikon mount.  Look for a used one, since new ones are $800.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 10:13:44 »
two very old from the 1980ies, whe I just started with cheapo film from Eastern Germany:

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 14:59:30 »
Free for good home!

Nikon PS-4
Andrew Iwanowski