Author Topic: Equipment Dilemma  (Read 3250 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Equipment Dilemma
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:34:06 »
I just took delivery of a D7200 from B&H, purchased for broadband conversion.  The price was good because it was listed as OB (open box) which means a return.  The first unusual thing I noticed was the serial number of 672****.  Roland Vink's site lists this series as being of unknown origin, perhaps Asia.  Well, I suppose this camera could have originally been gray market.  Then, when configuring settings in the menu I noticed that the time zone was set as Zulu and the year was set as late 2015.  Again, I suppose the camera could have been sitting around for a while before being dumped on the gray market by Nikon.  Checking the shutter actuations (something I had to look up how to do) showed five actuations including at least two that I did.  So this really is an older D7200 that has not seen photographic use.

Now my dilemma is whether to return it or keep it, given its likely gray market status.  There would not be any warranty in any case (for this unit or a replacement) because the broadband conversion process voids any warranty.  My concern is over the feasibility of repairs if they're needed at a later date, especially give Nikon's parts policy.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Equipment Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 04:32:48 »
Under what conditions did you buy it from B&H? There must be something in your purchase which states the level of cover they provide. Up to you whether that is enough.

As for the serial number, it would be good to add yours to my list to fill it out a bit more. My camera serial numbers are far from complete, partly due to lack of information, and partly because there are so many regions making it harder to keep up with them all. Do you have the original box or guarantee papers with your D7200? On the box above the barcode is a code which indicates which region it belongs to. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7200.htm#usa , it would be good to know where the 67xxxxx series is for.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 05:18:40 »
Under what conditions did you buy it from B&H? There must be something in your purchase which states the level of cover they provide. Up to you whether that is enough.

As for the serial number, it would be good to add yours to my list to fill it out a bit more. My camera serial numbers are far from complete, partly due to lack of information, and partly because there are so many regions making it harder to keep up with them all. Do you have the original box or guarantee papers with your D7200? On the box above the barcode is a code which indicates which region it belongs to. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7200.htm#usa , it would be good to know where the 67xxxxx series is for.

Roland, that sticker has been removed, along with the one next to it.  It's a used purchase so B&H's standard 90-day used warranty would apply, but the conversion would surely void that.  My concern is more with the availability of repairs at a later date. 

KR claims that firmware updates for a gray market camera won't be possible (or elsewhere on his site as per Google, *probably* won't be possible), but I don't trust that information.  If true that would be a negative, though.  On balance I think I'll return the unit and wait for a good used one from KEH. The serial # is 6721078.

My plan here is imaging in three spectral bands simultaneously [ED: with three cameras].

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 08:47:37 »
Thanks for the SN.
I don't understand how firmware updates for a gray market camera won't be possible ... surely it's just a question of loading the update on the SD card and then into the camera?? My D600 is grey market (or parallel import as it's called here in NZ) and had no trouble loading the one firmware update so far.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 22:30:28 »
How important is warranty support?

In over 50 years of camera owning I have used warranty support once.  This makes it, to me, a low priority.
Anthony Macaulay

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 23:58:54 »
How important is warranty support?

In over 50 years of camera owning I have used warranty support once.  This makes it, to me, a low priority.

For me the real issue is post-warranty.  Given that digital cameras are extremely complex, can I get repairs at a later time from a non-Nikon shop in the U.S. if they can't get parts from Nikon?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 00:33:31 »
For me the real issue is post-warranty.  Given that digital cameras are extremely complex, can I get repairs at a later time from a non-Nikon shop in the U.S. if they can't get parts from Nikon?

Yep, that is a concern.

Have you talked to B&H? They would very likely work with you to solve the problem, but I wouldn't waste any time waiting to calling them. If you have trouble getting satisfaction, ask to be connected to Henry Posner.
Carl

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 05:01:37 »
Once upon a time.....a few years ago.......I sent in a broadband converted Nikon for a bad-board repair with clear instructions that the internal filtration had been purposely removed and replaced with a clear filter for my professional needs as a UV photographer, so please don't "fix" that.

But when I received the proposed list of repairs for my approval, a very expensive new sensor pack was on the list. We went back & forth, but I could not convince Nikon to leave the converted sensor alone. They HAD to "fix" it. Finally I gave up and declined the repair knowing I would have to junk the camera when Nikon returned it to me.

The camera arrived back home, but surprisingly the bad-board was now working. And the conversion was intact. Quite a mystery. Had Nikon started on the repair while awaiting my approval? Then when I said 'no', was it too much trouble to undo the declined repair? I'll never know.

Like I said this was a few years ago. So I don't know what Nikon repair might do now when confronted with a converted cam sent in for some repair. But don't be surprised that you might get some pressure to also "repair" the conversion too!!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 06:00:24 »
That's a funny story, Andrea, and thanks for the warning.  I'll keep that in mind.  BTW, how do you like your converted D750?

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 20:05:09 »
Bill, I liked the D750 so much as a "daily shooter" that I never did convert it. I converted a D610 instead.