Author Topic: 1 Nikkor 70-300  (Read 2198 times)

KenP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
1 Nikkor 70-300
« on: May 16, 2017, 21:01:52 »
Anyone have experience using this lens on any of the 1 Nikon series cameras? I have just purchased a V1 and have a couple of primes. Starts out at 189 and goes to 810. That is quite a range and a bit long on the short end. It is also quite expensive new though I have seen examples locally for sale that are just over half the MSRP at around $500. I am pondering the practical use of this lens. Perhaps for sports though I find the lag on the V1 difficult to track and shoot. I recently also picked up an old D2h that I find much easier for sports and with the OVF also easier to track. I am not well covered in focal range yet. I have the 18.5 and the 10 for the v1 and a 50-150 for the D2h. I have to mix and match depending on what I want to shoot. Still much to learn and experiment.

Ken

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: 1 Nikkor 70-300
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 21:10:04 »
The lens itself is optically very good. However, it really taxes the ergonomics of the small 1 Series cameras. I used it with 1 V1 and AW1 and obtained sharp, contrast-rich images. However, angular magnification is large towards the longer end and using VR is mandatory. The lens also elongates significantly when zoomed.

Ended up returning it.

You should perhaps look for a suitable long lens for your D2H? I have kept one of these cameras for special applications and it still sees regular use in the studio. A 70-300 picked from the many brands or versions floating around would be a good match for your D2H. I haven't got the latest Nikkor(s) of this focal range,  but used them sporadically on meet-up and trips with other photographers. I'll have to dig into my archives to see what actual model(s) I used.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 23:00:51 »
I have used the FX 70-300 on the V1 - via the FT1 adapter - Iwas trying to shoot a cart race, as you mention the V1 delays make it very very hard to track moving subjects, if that is your intention when getting this lens, I'll look into other alternatives.

The reach on the 300mm is useful when I want to shoot the moon  ;D
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 23:14:21 »
The "native" CX-format 70-300 is another beast than the FX lens. Nearly all FX lenses operating through the FT-1 are slower in their AF. The native lenses tend to respond very fast.

KenP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:15:49 »
I do not own an FT-1. I was referring to the native 70-300 and its practical use. Birna's suggestion and experience will likely lead me to search other alternatives. Thanks.

Ken

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:31:50 »
I have the CX 70-300.
Very good lens considering the limitations of the format.
Probably my most used lens on CX.
If you want reach that is the lens to get.
I have tried 2.8/70-200 VR1 with FT1 on CX. It is ok but very big on such a small camera.
Have used it on V1 and V3.
For both bodies I recommend getting some kind of grip when using longer and bigger lenses.

May I suggest another alternative?
Try a CX 30-110. Will give you basically the reach of a 300 mm lens on FX.
Very reasonable price, pocketability and performance.

On the whole Nikon 1 is a fantastic system for travelling. Easy to carry a big selection of lenses.
Yes, the CX format can't compete with my D700 and D800 for ultimate quality but it is gear that is easy to carry and to bring almost anywhere.
Johan Grahn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:13 »
Probably meaning that the gear also will be used for its intended purpose (which is *not* to be stood on a shelf) :D

I have plenty of positive experiences with 1Seris models once one concentrates on them as a photographic tool and stop being annoyed by some rather foolish limitations that unnecessarily cripple the system (in my humble view). For experimental purposes any 1V1 is great - you can pick them up for very little financial outlay and take them apart for modification without fear of being ruined economically.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:55 »
I use the CX 70-300 a lot on both V1 and V2 for wildlife (birds) as long as they are static it not a problem, and the pictures are detailed and sharp. For its reach it is very light and portable. I have tried bird in flight, but as pointed out the EVF is not the best option for this ;)

KenP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28:33 »
Good feedback and suggestions. I will give the 30-110 a look. I do have that focal length (well close) with the D2h and the 50-135 DX. As far as image quality is concerned....my needs are easily met with either the D2h or the v1 as I do not have any intentions of printing large or needing larger files. Thanks.