Author Topic: Oak Cliff  (Read 1374 times)

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
Oak Cliff
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:03:12 »
Oak Cliff, Texas

Oak Cliff is an older suburb just a couple of miles from downtown Dallas.  It is home to a thriving art community known as the Bishop Arts District.  It has become one of my favorite places for people watching and street shooting.

The first two photos were shot with a newly acquired Nikon Df and a 50mm 1.8 lens.  I just recently left the m4/3 system and have moved back to Nikon.  The third photo was one of the last shots from my Lumix GX-7.

Bishop Street

Tillman's Road House

Bishop Street

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Oak Cliff
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:26 »
These images definitely make me want to go there.  Thanks for sharing!

I'm also curious about the reason for your return to Nikon.  The smaller and quieter m4/3 system seems to be more advantageous for your shooting style and subjects.  The dynamic range is narrower and high-ISO performance is inferior, but your images haven't shown those shortcomings.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 14:08:39 »
I like these images, it really seems to be an inspring place
Thomas Stellwag

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 15:13:44 »
I like all three, but the composition of the first shot is simply fantastic!!!  Well seen. 
Frederick V. Ramsey

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 15:16:47 »
really like #1
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 18:30:06 »
Rick,
As usual well seen and captured.
I'm curious about your opinions on the Df, as it is the only Nikon digital body I've ever even considered switching to.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 20:37:18 »
Thanks for the comments.

I left the Nikon system back in 2007.  I moved to the 4/3 system in early 2008 and then to the micro 4/3 system in early 2009.  The main reasons for the switch was for size and weight issues and also affordability.  The m4/3 system has served me well, but when the Nikon Df came out, I stopped by a local camera shop to play with one and was immediately struck how well organized and well built the camera was.  It was a throwback to old 35mm film cameras- all the controls were where they should be and almost everything could be locked in position- something sorely missing in the m4/3 system.  At the time the Df came out, I seriously thought about switching systems then, but held off  because of the expense of the Df and I had so much invested in my m4/3 gear.

About a month ago, a friend of mine let me borrow his Df for a few days and I simply fell in love with the camera.  It was bigger and heavier than my cameras but the images looked better and were much easier to work with, plus the high ISO performance of the Df is simply outstanding and I shoot in a lot of dark places, and the Df is also full frame- the first time I had used a full frame digital camera for an extended length of time.  My previous Nikon DSLR's were a D1x and a D2H.  Anyway, the seed was planted in my head then about switching back to Nikon after all these years and a great buy showed up on ebay for a new Df with the 50mm 1.8 lens and I made the plunge and purchased it.  I then sold all of my Panasonic cameras and lenses and purchased several more Nikon lenses- a 28mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, and a 28-85 zoom (which is in the mail to me).  The goal is to make the Df with the three prime lenses my main shooting rig.  The zoom was purchased mostly for events, etc.  I will also be adding another Df body at the end of this year- I like shooting two bodies with different lenses for my PJ work.  So, that is how it happened and I could not be happier.  I have found the Df perfect for the stuff I shoot and superior to my Panasonic gear in several ways.

Thanks once again to all who viewed the photos and left comments.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 21:36:12 »
Rick, thanks for the details about your switch.  Am looking forward to seeing more of your images shot with Df!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 21:47:58 »
Interesting shots with well-placed tonalities.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 00:39:40 »
These really make Mongo want to go back to taking more B&W (as he used to).
Sharp, contrasty and punchy images with excellent composition. Also, like your indirect self portrait in #2.
Nice work.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:28:07 »
#1, a totally unexpected image from Texas. Well done.
Carl

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:09:48 »
Rick, once again you have blessed us with excellent images.

There are quite a few of us who love the Df and its image quality.
Thanks for sharing with us your story.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:15 »
Thanks for all of the comments.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:21 »
Great stuff, Rick. Especially the 2nd.   Good luck with your Df's !   Coming from the Df / D800E  I found the raw's of the 4/3 system a real disappointment. (let alone the limited amount of (good) lenses)