Author Topic: Oldies but goodies  (Read 1627 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Oldies but goodies
« on: April 30, 2017, 16:27:35 »
Bought this morning at the open air market near Lille music high school. These albums are sold very cheap - if you try and get them from amazon or the like, you'll end up paying much more for the postage than for the matter itself.

Each photo comes with a short comment plus camera type, lens type, and settings. Most used lenses: 20/2.5, 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 50/2, 105/2.5, 200/4. Some with 35/2.8, 85/1.8, 300/4.5, 500/8 (mirror) and even 1100/11 (mirror). A few with the 21/4, 35/2.8 PC, and 43-86 or 80-200 zooms.

The image by Ken Yasutomi is titled "Daybreak" and comes with the following indications : Nikomat FTn - Nikkor Auto 24/2.8 @ f/16 - 1/500s, red cellophane, Ektachrome B.
"Blood sustains the himan life. And throbbing fresh blood reconciles mother nature... that is what I tried to photograph".

Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Oldies but goodies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:33:27 »
A very nice find.  I used to enjoy reading such photo magazines published under the name of camera manufacturers.  They were more than just promotional materials and filled with truly artistic images.  Your second image is a good example.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:14:52 »
Yes, those magazines did have some very good images.

I particularly liked the Minolta Mirror Magazine put out by Minolta from 1975 to 1993.  Still have some around somewhere  -  now I will have to find them again!  :)

A very nice find.  I used to enjoy reading such photo magazines published under the name of camera manufacturers.  They were more than just promotional materials and filled with truly artistic images.  Your second image is a good example.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:53:32 »
The ones I particularly enjoyed reading were magazines in German in the early eighties (printed in Switzerland, IIRC).  The printing quality was very good, and the color was beautiful.  I used to buy them at camera shops in Munich.

I cannot remember the title of the magazine.  I'm pretty sure that either "Nikon" or "Nikkor" was part of the title.

Could someone from the German speaking countries/areas help?  The size was not very big: something like 20+ x 20+ cm.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:11:10 »
As a matter of fact, the book I illustrated above is a yearbook. There were several copies for sale (71-72, 72-73, probably coinciding with fiscal years). Most photographers who contributed were Japanese. Most of the book contains shots from winners of the 20th Nikon photo contest. The preface is attached :
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:38:05 »
Airy, thanks for the additional image.

The depicted article is about the history of the photographic yearbooks written by Nobuo Ina who was a photography critic and one of the editors of the pictorial magazine called "光画" (reads "Koh-ga", meaning "light paint"=photo-graphy)" published before the WWII.

According to the article, the photographic yearbook with the longest history by then was "The British Journal of Photography Annual" which was originally named "The British Journal Photographic Almanac" and was actually a calendar for 1860 as a supplement of a magazine called "The British Journal of Photography" published on December 15, 1859.

The designer for this Nikkor Annual magazine was Yusaku Kamekura who was a well known graphic designer who also designed the outlook of Nikon F.