Author Topic: Lens changer gadget  (Read 19627 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Lens changer gadget
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 04:14:42 »
Why stop at three? How about a bandalero which holds 8 or 10?

Jack, I, for one, don't want even to think about the total weight...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 05:06:45 »
How about a three lens turret for the camera? You'd just rotate the lens you want in place and start shooting.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:30 »
Dave , as we used to say in the 60's "that's Heavy man"  ;)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 05:13:43 »
How about a three lens turret for the camera? You'd just rotate the lens you want in place and start shooting.

Dave

Such device existed for Leica which was fairly big.  The one for today's DSLR should be huge.  You wouldn't want to hand-hold it.   :o :o :o

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 14:48:46 »
I could not use something like this, as it would just pull my pants down.  No one but my wife really wants that anyway.

I would, if needing access to a lot of lenses quickly would use something like this Kata bag:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TNX7I2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2I9LNU21HJL9V&coliid=I2GD7RVJZIFBUR
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 16:09:06 »
I could not use something like this, as it would just pull my pants down.

Andrew, there are always some handy gadgets called "yellow suspenders".   ;D

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 17:40:26 »
Horses for courses
I posted it as sometimes we find things this way that we want.  Or not.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 23:33:55 »
Horses for courses
I posted it as sometimes we find things this way that we want.  Or not.

All is good Elsa!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 23:35:37 »
A waist pack or a messanger bag will be a lot less obvious and might save the rear element of your lens. Bayoneting a lens to a device at one's waist at an odd angle is a bit acwared and risky. If there​ is a slip it's a plastic cap v. metal bayonet.

I think this is a great idea for selling and a poor idea for buying.

Dave the cynical

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 08:36:50 »
A waist pack or a messanger bag will be a lot less obvious and might save the rear element of your lens. Bayoneting a lens to a device at one's waist at an odd angle is a bit acwared and risky. If there​ is a slip it's a plastic cap v. metal bayonet.

I think this is a great idea for selling and a poor idea for buying.

Dave the cynical

You seem to be missing the ethos of the usage.

Nevermind that you are professing on a visual and not on real life experience.

It is about "FAST" change of lens on the go.

Your experience is: Open the messenger bag - locate the lens - unscrew the cap - put the cap in the bag - unmount the lens on camera - place the unmounted lens in the bag - replace cap on - mount he other lens on the camera.

The Capture Lens goes like this: Unmount the lens on camera - mount on Capture lens - Unmount the lens on Capture Lens - Mount lens on camera.

Which is more practical and which is more efficient?

N.B. The Capture Lens mount is not plastic but metal  :)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 13:08:57 »
As with all these things - from this gadget to any bag, belt, clip whatever you can think of. Nothing fits everybody. Which is exactly why there all these different options. What works for me today - didn't work 3 years ago, and so it goes. There just isnt a fit-all-sizes thingies.
I like the idea of this lens changer, but wont invest in it at this point. My priorities are buying backdrops at this point. Horses for courses.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 13:43:14 »
Which is more practical and which is more efficient?

Well I could change lenses while walking and carrying a 22 Kg (48 lb.) back pack. Most of this could be done without looking so I'll say the waist pack is more practical and more efficient. The lenses involved were frequently a 24/2.8 Nikkor-N, 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor-P and 105/2.5 Nikkor-P. The lenses would always be placed in the same well in the waist pack so there is no looking for which lens. The 24/2.8 is on the left, the 55/3.5 in the middle, the 105/2.5 is on the right. As I recall the first time I did this I was walking over a large slab of granite. I was with a group of six and didn't want to stop the group or fall behind.

Today's AF-S, G type lenses would not fit the waist pack due to their girth and a lens like the AF-S 105/2.8G ED VR Micro-Nikkor is a honker both in girth and length hence the need for something larger and deeper such as a messenger bag. Nothing I use is a shopping bag with everything rolling around loose. There is a well for everything and so one does not have to look as the item needed is always in the same place.

Cheers!

Dave

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 19:08:22 »
Seems like something that'd work in a clean, safe environment. The first time that one of the lenses on the gadget unmounts itself due to rubbing and vibration and falls into the dirt is when it would become impractical for me.  Not to mention when I fall over onto some rocks or concrete.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 21:42:30 »
Elsa, for small primes I just buy rear caps (not very expensive) and glue them back to back and wrap tape around them.  So take out and take the one off the camera , put in the empty cap .  I do not wear any of them showing and my pants would fall down if I were to put it on my belt  ;) .  This is another item which would sit in a drawer for me.  Would not work for long lenses.  It is more about the amount of time you leave a lens of the camera than getting to the lens.

We have gone pretty much to the Peak Design Straps for all cameras but this and their bags leave me cold.
Tom

Are you still in favor of the Peak Design strap and connection system? I was looking at some Amazon reviews, and they weren't too kindly about the PD system, dropped cameras from broken components, and so on. OTOH, I often wonder about some of those Amazon reviews.  ;)
Carl

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 22:30:45 »
Are you still in favor of the Peak Design strap and connection system? I was looking at some Amazon reviews, and they weren't too kindly about the PD system, dropped cameras from broken components, and so on. OTOH, I often wonder about some of those Amazon reviews.  ;)

Have you seen this thread Carl?

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8812.0;topicseen