Author Topic: Sony introduces the a9  (Read 33403 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Sony introduces the a9
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:47:58 »
Its fair to say mirrorless is now on par with DSLR technology and even surpasses it on some fronts.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1308959313/the-sony-a9-is-a-24mp-sports-shooting-powerhouse
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Sony introduces the a9
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:00 »
The specifications seem great, except for the strange lack of GPS support. However, a camera isn't better than its optical companions. Thus not only need the camera to handle well, support fast AF,  and deliver quality files, the lens system must be up to the challenge as well.

This kind of top level entry requires native lenses. Adapting third-party lenses will always incur compromises and missing features.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:57 »
Well, one would have to test the camera in practical use to be able to say what it is and isn't.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:00:01 »
That goes without saying. But agree, many might shoot specifications not the real thing.

I'm curious about the battery performance. The Sonys I have personal acquaintance with have had very poor performance compared to modern DSLRs.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:06:25 »
Suggested retail €5300

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:14 »
I guess the number of shots you get on a charge is greatly dependent on how much live viewing and focusing you do between shots. If one shoots at 20fps, likely one can get many more shots per charge than shooting individual frames. But then the time between battery changes may still be quite short.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:58 »
J.A., on paper it sounds great but so did the a7rii.   Sony always makes claims , some turn out to be fact , others not so.   Let's wait and see.  Something that got no play on any Sony Forum was that after Dpr giving the a7rii the number 1 spot last year, when it came time for their recommendations as top camera in each category, the a7rii was second to the Nikon D750.  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-roundup-semi-pro-interchangeable-lens-cameras/11
I agree with B.R. , particularly about lenses,  the 100-400 is not a Pro action lens so Sony is bowing to their well heeled fan base.  Where was the 200 f2 or 300 f2.8?

The a9 seems to have addressed many of my complaints with the a7rii,  Read, write speeds, buffer, start-up and lags but will have to see .  The a6500 fell short of their claims.  We also do not know about tracking and metering.   If it does 90% of the claims then it is going to be very interesting to watch.  If they are aiming for Tokyo 2020 then we can expect a version 2 before then and Sony may throw some perks, and lenses, to the Pro sports shooters.

I'll just wait and see but would not bother me to go lighter for sports  :)
Hope all is good with you
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:38 »
Sounds all very well on paper.  If this camera achieves 90% of what Sony claims, it should be the best camera in the world....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:01 »
If I read the specs right no sound recorded with the video ....thats useless

MISLEADING PRESS RELEASE ..IT HAS MIC AND SOCKET ....
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:32 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bjornthun

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:00 »
If I read the specs right no sound recorded with the video ....thats useless
This is wrong!

The camera has a stero microphone built in as well as a microphone jack.

bjornthun

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 11:41:14 »
Nikon Rumors reacted a bit too overly.   ;D

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/04/19/the-day-the-sony-a9-was-announced.aspx/#more-111775
They are really dramatic, making it sound like an obituary.  :D

Hopefully Nikon has some fighting spirit left in them. I certainly hope that Sony and Fujifilm can challenge Nikon and Canon and gain a substantial market share, so we could get a more competitive market and move away from the de facto duoploly that has existed between Canon and Nikon. It would be nice if all four of Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon and Sony had double digit market shares for a more healthy camera market, long term.

In retrospect I think Olympus and Panasonic should have made an APS-C system.

bjornthun

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:43:55 »
The A9 has a shutter lag of 30 miliseconds compared to 35 miliseconds for the Canon 1DX mkII. The EVF is fast enough to follow action rather than relying on bursts of shots.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:14:06 »
This all adds up to a luminance that is 2x higher than the XGA OLED Tru-Finder from the α7R II, creating a viewfinder image with a brightness level that is nearly identical to the actual scene being framed, ensuring the most natural shooting experience.

I'm not sure if it is a good news.  More luminance, more eye strain...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:17:20 »
Sony is trying hard to dethrone Nikon as the number two in photo equipment and it does look like they are making steady progress.

What worries me is that Nikon has been trying to keep its D-series sensor manufacturing out of Sony since the D3 - first Renesas then Toshiba manufacturing the sensors. But both of these companies sensor divisions now belong to Sony. The biggest innovation in the A9 seems to be in its sensor technology ... it will be interesting to see what Nikon does about its sensor strategy.

Anyway, with regards to the Sony A9 announcement:

1) Will AF be as good as claimed with fast lenses such as 300mm f2.8 or 600mm f4? It is curious that Sony is only showing a relatively slow lens with the A9.
2) In 14-bit Uncompressed RAW mode the max fps is 12 I believe?

Wish there was someone like Rob Galbraith who could do a serious test of the AF capabilities of the Sony, and compare with Canon and Nikon.

Regards
Dibyendu