Author Topic: When my Df dies, I will...  (Read 18622 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: When my Df dies, I will...
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2018, 23:00:03 »
As far as I can see it, AI or non-AI lenses are systematically identified as 0mm f/0.0. The actual settings are indeed available, at least in the case of AI lenses, under the FL and aperture infos, not however lens type. This is a pity, since the lens type is entered or approximated manually (since there is no FL = 90mm in the proposed list, I pick 86 as an approximation, etc.).

Also, I'd like to use the front wheel for aperture compensation (without lock), but it is too sharp and stiff anyway.
Airy Magnien

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2018, 23:37:28 »
...If the non-CPU lens menu is used, the actual lens data are all recorded in the EXIF...

I think my FL entry shows up in the exiftool output as "Focal Length : 50.0 mm"
and the max aperture entry may be in "Effective Max Aperture  : 2.0"

I still have not found any indicator for the AI/non-AI setting. Suggestions please?
Sam McMillan

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2018, 23:38:14 »
Use the rear wheel for minor +- adjustments. Works smoothly.

The EXIF data values are present in the case of non-CPU lenses, but some programs seem unable to extract the relevant data. One can hardly blame Nikon for that. As I wrote my own EXIF data module I eschew the issue any way.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2018, 23:38:38 »
As far as I can see it, AI or non-AI lenses are systematically identified as 0mm f/0.0. The actual settings are indeed available, at least in the case of AI lenses, under the FL and aperture infos, not however lens type. This is a pity, since the lens type is entered or approximated manually (since there is no FL = 90mm in the proposed list, I pick 86 as an approximation, etc.).

Also, I'd like to use the front wheel for aperture compensation (without lock), but it is too sharp and stiff anyway.

If I use the non-cpu lens selection it identifies whatever focal length I have set. I've not seen the behavior you are seeing.
I'm with Birna on using the aperture ring on the lens itself. Maybe it is just habit, but the dial does not give the same positive feeling.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2018, 11:35:07 »
P.S. For a Df2 I'd like to have it a (CF-express prepared) XQD card slot instead the SD.
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2018, 11:37:41 »
Maybe it is just habit, but the dial does not give the same positive feeling.

I see it more than a habit. it allows better distribution of tasks between the left and right hand (maybe long superteles as an exception) and it is easier to accidentially change the aperture with the dial than with the aperture ring (the front wheel of the Df is a nuissance but is less prone to this nasty habit)
Wolfgang Rehm

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2018, 04:47:57 »
Can the back,(main?) command wheel totally replace the  sub-command ( front) wheel for everything, if I only use manual focus  AI/AIS Nikkor lenses?  I have an  old Nikkor 35mm f2.8 PC lens I very rarely use, and I recollect that the instruction manual for the Df mentioned to use this  command wheel to sync the aperture on the old pre-set lens to the camera aperture, by turning/adjusting camera aperture when the exposure meters were on. Couldn't the main command wheel also do it?  What actual purpose does the sub-command wheel have, if I only use AI/ AIS lenses? My  Df2 would dispense with this front command wheel!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2018, 19:03:15 »

Third: I only use A and M... Third bis: when I dial in the FL and minimum aperture, I'd like to see them reflected in the EXIF data. Currently I'm obliged to input them in LR metadata.

Practically I only use A and M as well. But If  a camera is dedicated to old manual lenses like the Df is i want the things to work if it is technically possible (and it has proven to be) - or skip P and S modes completely.

BTW: if the FM2 could be upgraded from  X synch speed  1/200 to 1/250 this should be possible for a Df(2) as well, then it is one full stop.
Wolfgang Rehm