Author Topic: Notes on Nikon AF-S 105mm f/1.4E ED for Focus-Stacking and Close Work  (Read 6136 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
I'm guessing but I doubt that the 100mm Leica Elmarit-R Macro is an AF or IF lens. I do a search and see what I can find.

I haven't done stacking yet but I'd like to try. I read these threads to learn. When I try my hand I'll start with Nikon PB-4 Bellow and a D800. My best guess is I'll prefer moving the camera while keeping the lens stationary. A method I probably learned by using a monorail view camera back in 1974. I don't envision using any of my AF-S lenses.

Dave Hartman

I never have used AF for stacking, and don't know anyone who does. I did some videos, years ago, on stacking, which are free and here, if they might help:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5xDr8mWUwrzi4bxY978O1DQykUrj-S2I

Plus lots of written articles here:
http://michaelerlewine.com/viewforum.php?f=236&sid=3f9c1bde37626db449cbeca7a51daabd

And free e-books here:
http://spiritgrooves.net/e-Books.aspx#Photography

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

simsurace

• NG Member
Micheal, there are some tethering programs that let you move the AF motor in small increments (the individual steps of the stepper motors if I'm not mistaken) at one time. This could be used for stacking. I tried it once for a stack and would say that it is worth investigating further, but I don't have extensive experience of course.
It does not work very well with non-AF-S lenses, since the in-body motor is not as precise.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Micheal, there are some tethering programs that let you move the AF motor in small increments (the individual steps of the stepper motors if I'm not mistaken) at one time. This could be used for stacking. I tried it once for a stack and would say that it is worth investigating further, but I don't have extensive experience of course.
It does not work very well with non-AF-S lenses, since the in-body motor is not as precise.

You lost me there. Lenses like the Zeiss Otus on the Nikon D810 are manual. I am not aware of any way to make them internally move focus without turning them by hand. Do you have some information that I am unaware of? I can't imagine it.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

simsurace

• NG Member
Sorry, I was talking about the 105/1.4 and similar AF-S lenses. You were commenting that the focus throw is rather short, which is true of most AF-S lenses. But the stepper motor can move the lens elements in very small increments. Controlling that stepper motor via computer, tablet or smartphone would make the lenses more suitable to stacking applications.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
I will not further reply, as my comments are left unanswered.  This is the last one: you take your 105mm f/1.4 (which has a stepper motor used for AF); you thether the attached body to a program which allows to drive the stepper motor in minute steps - 100 times more precise than you can achieve manually -. And voilà. Now choosing the aforementioned lens for macro ? Its your choice, but why not ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

The 105/1.4 has an SWM (some version of it on the side of the lens with gears), not a stepper motor, if I'm not mistaken. Nikon lenses which use stepper motors are designated AF-P.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
I never have used AF for stacking, and don't know anyone who does. I did some videos, years ago, on stacking, which are free and here, if they might help...

Thank You!
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

simsurace

• NG Member
The 105/1.4 has an SWM (some version of it on the side of the lens with gears), not a stepper motor, if I'm not mistaken. Nikon lenses which use stepper motors are designated AF-P.
Stepper motor might be incorrect. But the point remains that the motor can be controlled quite precisely.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Yes. Stepper motor might not be the correct term. But simsurace got my point.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Testing various lenses not designed for close-up makes sense to me as some work out well and some don't. You won't know unless you try.

I also test various extension tubes as sometimes the air inside is good and sometimes it's not. I remember trying an M tube behind a 105/2.5 Nikkor-P*C. I didn't care for the results.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
The motors used in the latest AF-P Nikkors and Canon STM lenses should be of a stepping type?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
I love the third of you experimental results in reply #21

As the 105E had a sweet spot at f/5.6 I would give it a try there too
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
just got back from a Nikon seminar and listening to the lens designer's thought while designing the lens answers lots of questions as to why it was built like that and the design choices that he made to give the images a "unique" look :o :o :o

he basically just made a larger version of the 58/1.4S ::)

this lens focuses close for a 105mm.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
I agree, using the build in SWM to do the incremental steps is the best option for any IF CRC type lens.

An alternative would be to mount a large focus ring, like a big disc with graduations on the outside of the MF focus ring to have more control of the angular rotation.

The Nikkor 105mm 1.4 E uses a small SWM type motor with a gearbox, not a ring-type SWM or stepper motor. And yes there are a gearing between the focus ring and the barrel with the focus scale, so you have better MF control than without this gearing.

I also completely agree with Bjørn, to blame the designers for the design choices for this lens, is a misunderstanding.
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
I actually appreciate the 105/1.4E and 58/1.4G more after sitting through the seminar.  :o :o :o
he has his reasons why he made it that way. it is going back to the roots of Nikkor back in the olden days where primes were designed for specific use and not like what we have since the 2000s wherein a lens has to excel in so many things and become a master of non. it will top any chart but will look clinical.
I am liking how these groups of optical engineers think  ::) it seems that the lens division is divided into teams with different philosophy driving each team, at least this is how my impression is after listening to how they work.