Author Topic: Ballerina in training  (Read 1126 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Ballerina in training
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:31:44 »
I've started another photo essay on our children and grandchildren, and their relationships with their parents and grandparents. So I've started scouring my old binders of slides for images to scan and found this one.
Taken about 30 years ago when our daughter was six or seven. I moved all the furniture out of the living room and shot her in natural light from the south windows. Our ballerina in training.
motorized Nikon FE
Nikkor 50 mm 1.4 AI manual focus
Ektachrome 100 ISO colour slide
about 2.8 @ 1/60th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Ballerina in training
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 22:40:17 »
Good color stability, 30 years later.

I like the tight framing, as well as the glance - not quite as enigmatic as the Gioconda, but somehow close.
Airy Magnien

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:25:49 »
Lovely shot, well done. It is especially touching since my daughter is 7 yo right now and she has been going to ballet classes for a few years... and I know I won't be here in 30 years to post any pictures.

Superb shot, and it managed to dig a deep emotional response out of me, which is the raison d'ĂȘtre for art. Thanks for sharing.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 14:42:25 »
Airy/ Peter,
Thank you both for commenting.
Airy,
Maybe I'm just lucky, but over the years I've shot a variety of E-6 stocks as well as the Kodachrome 25 and 64 I started out with, and find that the E-6 slides are just as colour-fast as the Kodachromes.
However, the E-6 stocks scan vastly better.
The tight framing was partly because at the time, my lens selection was quite limited, and the space I had to work in was quite confined. Truthfully, to this day I despair the in-camera cropping of the fingers and toes.
As for the enigmatic smile?
I asked her not to, possibly because of missing baby teeth.
Peter,
I understand, and share your feelings completely. Joanna danced from a very young age, and after grade school successfully auditioned for and attended the local High School of the Arts in the Dance Program.
We loved those times, and to participate in her activities, (as I did for our son by coaching Hockey and Baseball) I danced in her Ballet Recitals. When ever people watched the tapes of the recitals, they'd invariably ask who the incredibly talent-less man was, and our Daughter would reply with pride, "That's my Dad".
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 16:18:15 »
Lovely shot of the young lady all those years ago. 

Robert, I cannot dance either, but I would say that the "talent-less man" is pretty dammed good with his camera. 

Thanks for sharing.

Hugh Gunn

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 16:59:09 »
Hugh,
Thank you for your very kind comments.
Robert