Author Topic: "Starter kit" lenses - advice on choice?  (Read 5457 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: "Starter kit" lenses - advice on choice?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 23:23:39 »
Just remember to load an aGPS file into the D5300, otherwise the GPS never really works. It will happily deplete the battery whilst searching for a satellite fix :D With the aGPS installed, it gets the fix in normal time.

The camera manual and/or Nikon's site(s) contain the instructions required.

Since I don't have one at hand right now, could you tell me what this is about? Just for my insatiable curiosity :)
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 23:25:31 »
Good call, this would interest me... but the nikon ship has sailed for me (apart from old Nikkor lenses).
The camera is for my nephew and I do hope he enjoys it.
Currently deciding between a few good offers, D5300 +18-140 or D5500 + 18-140 or D5500 + 18-55 (P).
I may decide to be generous and throw in also a 35 DX :)

So far as I'm aware, the D5500 + AF-P kit is not offered, unfortunately.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 23:40:02 »
So far as I'm aware, the D5500 + AF-P kit is not offered, unfortunately.

I stand corrected, the one I was mentioning is a kit with he standard 18-55 VR II.
I saw a few links on Google to the kit with the AF-P but in all cases it wasn't available, except for one case where the kit was refurbished by Nikon.
Simone Tomasi

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 01:38:21 »
Bjorn, thank you for the tip.  I just downloaded and installed the GPS file to the D5300.  The user's manual that comes with the camera does not mention this, you have to download a larger reference manual from the Nikon web site to get this kind of info.  All systems go now.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:13 »
I was almost on the point of returning the camera to the dealer when a Nikon rep I spoke with on an entirely different topic happened to mention the aGPS file. I had little hopes but did the download/install and voilá now the camera GPS is functional. Tested in such diverse locations as South Africa and Arctic Norway - that should cover a lot of ground ... The GPS does take a little longer than a dedicated external device to get a good fix, but not by much.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 02:04:09 »
Since I don't have one at hand right now, could you tell me what this is about? Just for my insatiable curiosity :)

If you are satisfied with the D5300 never being able to get a satellite fix, don't bother with the aGPS file. On the other hand, if you want the camera's GPS feature to be really functional, scuttle over to Nikon Europe or another of Nikon's sites and download the correct aGPS binary file for the camera. Put that file on a SD card and load the file through the camera's menu system.

Same procedure works with the AW1 and the independent GPS module for CX cameras, by the way. However, AW1 is less glacial than the D5300 even without the aGPS file. After updating the camera its GPS responds faster, though.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 11:26:05 »
If you are satisfied with the D5300 never being able to get a satellite fix, don't bother with the aGPS file. On the other hand, if you want the camera's GPS feature to be really functional, scuttle over to Nikon Europe or another of Nikon's sites and download the correct aGPS binary file for the camera. Put that file on a SD card and load the file through the camera's menu system.

Same procedure works with the AW1 and the independent GPS module for CX cameras, by the way. However, AW1 is less glacial than the D5300 even without the aGPS file. After updating the camera its GPS responds faster, though.

Good thing that I asked, as I do own an AW1.
I'll try what you recommend sometime. Thanks.
Simone Tomasi

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 12:01:48 »
How about a D610 and a 50/1.8G? It should cost more or less the same...

Simone,

I feel putting a foot in the door for FX is a good thing. I wouldn't write off this advice to quickly.

I've used the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR belonging to a friend both on her D300 and on my D300s and D800. I'm not thinking price here at all. I just noticed someone else recommended this lens. I recommended it to my friend has she's trained as an interior designer. I was quite certain she'd find 18mm not wide enough. I'd own one but my money has gone for FX glass.

Anyway I feel getting a foot in the door of FX is a very good thing. FX allows separation of the subject from the background for people using an 85mm to 135mm lens, my favorite people lens being 105mm.

That's my advice.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 13:48:41 »
Thanks Dave,

I really think a FX camera is premature for him.
He wants something small and light that he can carry everywhere without hassle; he has back problems (at his age!) so light is important.
He also values the flip touchscreen that the D5500 sports.
With a 35mm DX it will make a very compact kit; the 18-140 will do the rest.
It will take a good while before he grows out of this equipment, if he ever does.
I can have everything for just over £800 so price wise this choice is also extremely hard to beat.
Simone Tomasi

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 13:51:43 »
Not a zoom. Give him the 1.8/35DX and the 1.8/50G!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 16:15:47 »
My experience - 5 years ago my niece bought a D5100/18-55 kit and for the same reason: compact and with the flip screen.
Not long after that she asked if she could borrow my 55-200 and she still has it. Later she found out I also have a 35/1.8 and said "I've been looking for such a lens..." - now also borrows that. She seems happy with that combo. No doubt an 18-140 would also have made her happy.     

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 16:53:54 »
I would like to thank all who gave their opinion - as requested.
My decision is now made, thanks not only to your advice, but also some thinking on my own and speaking with my nephew.
I think what I chose to buy is the best for my nephew at present.
If he eventually grows out of this kit I will be happy; if not (meaning he is not that interested in photography after all) then I will not have wasted more of my money.
Simone Tomasi

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 17:02:18 »
Nicely done Simone!  What a generous gift for your nephew, I think your decision is very generous and solid for a first DSLR.  Sweet!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 17:10:00 »
Simone, I think you "nailed it"!  You may want to add a humble IR remote control ML-L3 to the kit.  Nikon stupidly removed the IR remote function from D5600, but you can use it with D5500 and his brother's D7000.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 17:32:47 »
My experience - 5 years ago my niece bought a D5100/18-55 kit and for the same reason: compact and with the flip screen.
Not long after that she asked if she could borrow my 55-200 and she still has it. Later she found out I also have a 35/1.8 and said "I've been looking for such a lens..." - now also borrows that. She seems happy with that combo. No doubt an 18-140 would also have made her happy.     

You clearly gave a successful gift!
Anthony Macaulay