Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

nikon d80 IR project

(1/10) > >>

golunvolo:
Hello.

I just bought a nikon d80 with 156 shutter count in order to change the internal filter. The camera itself was very cheap -90€- even thou is almost new. The plan is to make the conversion as cheap as possible. So far I´m going to buy a filter "ir enhanced" from lifepixel and install it myself.

Before I get to it and if you have a better idea, I´m open go suggestions 

brent_e:
I just did a D80 conversion with a Hoya R72.  It's pretty straightforward.  2 notes of caution: get the right driver (JIS) for the screws as I gnarled one of the heads on mine, and make sure you seat the ribbon wire clips properly.  When I put mine back together it would shoot fine but no images were being written as the main ribbon wasn't making a connection. 

Cheaper than a lifepixel filter is a normal lens filter (R72 or equivalent to what you want)....but it's difficult to cut it.  You need to buy a glass cutter, some 400 grit wet sandpaper, and spend about an hour with it.  I just bough a lifepixel for the D200 I'm converting as it will save me a bunch of time and be the right thickness.

good luck! 

Olivier:
Hi Paco

Don't worry, the IR surgery on a D80 is easy. Just follow the indications on Lifepixel's site and you should be fine.
Things you should pay attention to:
1. if the camera doesn't work when you assemble it, it is most likely a flat & flexible connector that was not properly inserted.
2. Dust is your enemy! How many times did I have to start over?
3. Make sure you have the appropriate screw driver. You don't want to destry the scrw head and yet be unable to remove it...
4. Be quiet, work in a well lit place, no wine before you start...
Of course, it all happened to me!

Olivier

Edit: brent_e said it all and very well (I started typing my message long before I hit the post button).

brent_e:
I disagree about the wine portion, YMMV.

Erik Lund:
Flat cables are so difficult to deal with, there are so many different designs of the locking mechanism and they are fragile as well.
Either buy a set  of tools for them or make your own,,,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version