Author Topic: The textures of winter  (Read 1975 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: The textures of winter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:27:42 »
Especially so when the "humble" super tele zoom has a super humble super photographer driving it!

Cannot agree more!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 07:14:22 »
Great shots, they are pleasure to behold.
This is strong evidence that the "3D effect" comes from the lighting, period.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:31:57 »
Fantastic-as usual!
Andrew Iwanowski

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:30 »
Thank you for the very flattering comments, Carl, Akira, Hugh, Andrew and Keith.

I am delighted with the response to these images from my fellow-members because this was something very new for me - to shoot landscapes with such a long lens. Previously I almost never shot longer than 200mm, though I owned a sweet 400/5.6 AIS. It's performance, however, was not up to the standards of modern teles, even tele-zooms, and I rarely used it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 12:38:05 »
Even though the 400/5.6 ED-IF is quite capable, it frequently does best service in the near to medium range. Maybe this is caused by its lower contrast compared to today's standard?

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 12:45:05 »
Even though the 400/5.6 ED-IF is quite capable, it frequently does best service in the near to medium range. Maybe this is caused by its lower contrast compared to today's standard?

I agree with that. However with my copy of this lens lacked not only contrast - when shooting at distance - but sharpness as well. I stopped carrying it when I realised that the 70-200/4 gave better results when 2x enlarged than the 400/5.6 at full-frame.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 12:52:16 »
The 400/5.6 ED-IF is very susceptible to vibrations and thus need much more sturdy tripod support than one might think.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 13:31:53 »
All excellent but no doubts my favourite is #8.
I like a lot telephoto landscapes.

The 200-500 is one of the lenses that is almost worth having with a dedicated camera if one is using a different system.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 17:40:32 »
All excellent but no doubts my favourite is #8.
The 200-500 is one of the lenses that is almost worth having with a dedicated camera if one is using a different system.

Thanks, Simone - #8 is among my own 2-3 favourites. And I have already adopted the strategy you suggest - my D600 and the 200-500 are now a unit.

The 400/5.6 ED-IF is very susceptible to vibrations and thus need much more sturdy tripod support than one might think.

I'm sure you are right, Bjørn, and my present tripod is something of a compromise. However, if I can be forgiven for quoting myself - this was from an email to another photographer-friend, earlier today -

"The VR was a revelation - it was too awkward to get the camera/ big lens/ tripod in and out of the car in one piece, and too slow taking the camera and lens
on and off the tripod-head all the time so I soon started trying to hand-hold. I tried to lean on something - anything - but often there was nothing suitable and I was
genuinely hand-holding. 9 out 10 ten are absolutely pin-sharp; razor-sharp. This lens has WAY the best VR I have ever experienced."

I love those classic lenses but I'm ready to take whatever help I can get, to make sharp pictures.