Author Topic: Fujifilm X-T2 Processing challenge  (Read 11070 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Fujifilm X-T2 Processing challenge
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 07:24:03 »
Amongst those results presented so far, Iridient seems to deliver the better output. Interesting. Hopefully this RAW converter will be available on other platforms (Windows, Linux) in the near future.
Iridient and Photo Ninja supposedly share the same DCRaw demosaic engine,  therefore detail from both should be similar.  Color...I don't know.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 09:34:21 »
Colours of the image posted by Simone appear very natural and life-like (this landscape and its appearance is very familiar). Details look good too. A lot of the output otherwise have smeared rendition of fine branches against the sky etc.

This is just a comment from the side line and too little is known of the approaches used by other contributors to draw any conclusion at all.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 09:48:41 »
Colours of the image posted by Simone appear very natural and life-like (this landscape and its appearance is very familiar). Details look good too. A lot of the output otherwise have smeared rendition of fine branches against the sky etc.

Thanks for the comment Bjørn.

A note to all Iridient users regarding Fuji files: the presets that can be freely downloaded are highly recommended.

The default rendition has excessively saturated colours and somewhat altered tonalities; this applies especially to reds.
I tend to use the "negative" presets for more natural-looking colours, especially when people are involved or when there are lots of reds. The image then benefits from some added saturation and vibrance (the saturation tool is "smart" in that it has some inbuilt protection against blowing channels).
For images with lots of contrast the ProNegStd preset allows much better highlight and shadow recovery; the default result usually has shadows that somewhat lack punch but one can add back contrast to taste during development.
For more punchy images out of the box ProNegHi works well.
I fairly often use Natural for landscape images, this gives fairly punchy and saturated images without going overboard. I always try Natural or ProNegHi + saturation/vibrance before deciding.
Simone Tomasi

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:56 »
The Iridient files look very good.  DXO 10 is awful and obviously it doesn't help to translate the RAF file to Tiff. DXO does not like Fuji I have the idea ;)  I notice the same (poor) results with the S5 Pro.

Direct in ACR -  some corrections on highlights and whites, some sharpening, small noise reduction-  file  to CC -- back to ACR for other small corrections  on highlight and white-  sharpening mask.

Downsize with Bicubic sharper

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 14:09:33 »
Developed with Fuji's software silkypix
Changed color to Classic Chrome
Highlights control 1.8 , whatever that means, but it pulls highlights a bit
Saved as TIF
Downsized in PS bicubic smoother to 1200 on the long side
100% crop, no down size ,
both export for web 80% quality
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 14:16:15 »
The Iridient files look very good.  DXO 10 is awful and obviously it doesn't help to translate the RAF file to Tiff. DXO does not like Fuji I have the idea ;)  I notice the same (poor) results with the S5 Pro.

Direct in ACR -  some corrections on highlights and whites, some sharpening, small noise reduction-  file  to CC -- back to ACR for other small corrections  on highlight and white-  sharpening mask.

Downsize with Bicubic sharper
Seems adobe fixed whatever problems some claimed they have resolving the fuji sensor images !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 19:11:35 »
Rather straight forward in Photo Ninja 1.3.4 (settings below) & Auto Contrast, because I liked it on PSCC2017:

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 21:07:45 »
Seems adobe fixed whatever problems some claimed they have resolving the fuji sensor images !
Looks like it. But not perfectly to my feeling.  Need to add that with post-processing in ACR/CC the focus was only on the highlighted area's, which is just the background and a small part of the whole image.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 22:22:58 »
ACR in the latest version of CC2017.  Camera profile: ASTIA/soft, Contrast: 50, Highlight: -100.  Resized to 1200pix horizontally (Bicubic sharper).  No sharpening was applied in the process.

100% crops of the distant part and the (seemingly out of focus) foreground.

Interestingly the color of ASTIA/soft looks a little more vivid than PROVIA/standard...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 22:47:43 »
Sten where is this image focused?
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 00:25:14 »
A second Lr trial with a 1200x800 crop; classical PP, no Ps sharpening or dehazing applied:
(1) 2nd edit
(2) crop 1200x800
(3) main Lr development parameters
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:52 »
A second Lr trial with a 1200x800 crop; classical PP, no sharpening or dehazing applied:
(1) 2nd edit
(2) crop 1200x800
(3) main Lr development parameters

A good amount of noise reduction has been applied?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 05:44:29 »
It is my observation that the Lightroom (and presumably ACR) processing of XTrans files has not substantially improved since the big Adobe improvement in 2013.
It is also my observation that Photo Ninja and Iridient offer noticeably more "correct looking" detail without the weird blobby artifacts on small details.
I think that Fuji going to 24MP may help alleviate the blobbiness, because the because the pixels are smaller and therefore the blobs are smaller.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 08:01:03 »
@pluto: I have difficulties to understand your statement when I look at contribution #6 and #11: Irridient artifacts are there as well and may be worse than Lr. Although the overall results are promising.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:35 »
A good amount of noise reduction has been applied?

Herewith a screen copy of my noise reduction settings (it is in French, but I'm sure you can sort it out):
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν