Author Topic: Yoga in America  (Read 1205 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Yoga in America
« on: February 03, 2017, 00:00:10 »
Morro Beach, October 2016
technical: D500 & Nikkor 4.0/300PF
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Yoga in America
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:05:39 »
There is a lot that can be said about this image but here a just a few.

Mongo likes:
the exposure - given the time of day and circumstances
the excellent subject to background isolation
the density of colour and tone of the subject and foreground as against the background which is generally lighter and less dense assisting to further isolate the subject from background.
the placement of subject and framing
the relative “connection” between the subject and the freestanding bolder outcrop on the right. They are both very solid. Not sure if these were intentional elements seen by the photographer or coincidental. Either way, a very interesting and notable marriage of elements.

Mongo in no way wishes to sound unkind when making his last above comment and has made his comments based on his assessment of the “photography” of the image as he see it from his experience. Mongo would be very grateful if those comments are not turned into a political football. To be clear, Mongo respects the subject of the image and gives her full marks for doing something positive for her health and only wishes Mongo had it in him to do likewise (and Mongo is sure this would apply to a lot of us).

very good and interesting image Frank - well seen and captured. Sorry Mongo felt the need to clarify some of his comments given recent events on this site

charlie

• NG Member
Yoga near the unfathomable sea and rocks covered in poo
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:08:10 »
I see beautiful scenery and an eagerness to live though I sense some sort of social commentary is in play.
Frank, please tell us more about your image and what attracted you to taking it, naming it, and sharing it with us.

Mr Mongo, you did not sound unkind what so ever. In fact I found your commentary to be quite graceful. Had this picture been titled with the same grace I wonder if you would have second guessed your remarks in the same manor?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:05:08 »
There is no political commentary in this picture. My whole California series is about natural and cultural differences between home and abroad. Just watching in awe.

Thank you.

In Europe Yoga practicing people are usually very thin. For me the body shape of the eager  practicioneer combined with the impressive backdrop of Morro beach were the points of interest.

I first took a fast image to "grab" the situation, then saw that there was time to take it in and compose. This is the last of my series in the right moment concerning the position of the surf. This is the original frame as in most of my images. Decades of slide film were a good training.

Thank you again.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 13:37:21 »
It's quite a nice image, Frank.

It's nice the lady is "pointing" at the right hand rock column. However, something strange is going on with the left hand background rock. Some sort of halo. Is this from processing? I must say it draws a bit of my attention away from the message of the image.
Hans Cremers

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 14:23:11 »
What I really like is the contradiction between the power of the waves, hitting the rock on the right and the relaxation of the person in the front.
wonderful capute, Frank.
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 14:41:06 »
It's nice the lady is "pointing" at the right hand rock column. However, something strange is going on with the left hand background rock. Some sort of halo. Is this from processing?

This is what the rock looks like in the very soft unedited version. One can already see the nervous bokeh of the 300PF. I guess the effect is stronger with VR action than with VR=OFF and tripod use. The contrast, sharpening & color edit brought the effect out more. I might try an edit with the BG effect masked out.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 17:13:53 »
Very nice image Frank.

I hope to get to Morro Bay this spring.  It is a favorite place and near my sister's home.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 18:32:54 »
Thank you all for your kind words. This is one of the many favourite shots from my california visit.