Author Topic: FujiFilm s5 pro  (Read 6419 times)

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
FujiFilm s5 pro
« on: January 14, 2017, 17:32:06 »
Experiences and thoughts on this camera? Obsolete I know but new to digital and within budget and locally offered. Sent back first DSLR D2h due to ERR. Shooting an FTN now with BW film. Probably going to shoot jpeg only initially and little to no processing as my computer skills are non existent. I have access to an Epson 3800 printer for prints. Thank you.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: FujiFilm s5 pro
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 18:43:51 »
The S5Pro is quite old and has *a lot* of idiosyncratic quirks. The form factor is almost identical to D200 and accessories like 10-pin devices (GPS, remote release etc.), eye cups etc. will fit. However, the similarity is just a thin veneer. In fact, batteries for the S5 look exactly like those of the D200 and can be charged by the very same charger, but you cannot swap batteries between the two cameras at all. They simply refuse to power up the camera claiming they are "depleted". Put the battery back into its native camera body and all is well, though.

The most annoying issue is of course the peculiar Fuji sensor and the weird RAF (raw) files that most software either don't understand or cannot decode properly. Although the camera is claimed to be 12 MPix, the effective pixel dimension corresponds to around 9 MPix due to the unique sensor design comprising small and large photo sites in combination. Thus I would hardly recommend this model as as the best entry into a world of digital photography.

Despite the above, it is a nice camera that handles quite well unless you call for superspeed operation. The files even up to 800 ISO and on occasional even 1600 ISO are useful. My S5Pro is converted to "broad spectrum" and replaces the S3Pro UV/IR Limited Edition as the S5 has a better view finder, much better battery technology, improved EXIF recording, and finally, GPS support. The latter feature is very important to my use of the camera.

Like the D200, the S5 needs AI-modified or native AI/AIS lenses. It cannot deal with pre-AI variants. It also works with old AF/AFD lenses ('screwdriver' type) and more modern AFS(G) Nikkors. The very latest 'E' Nikkors will mount and function, sort of, but there is no aperture control at your disposal, so some nifty tricks have to be introduced if you wish to take advantage of these latest-generation optics.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 18:49:50 »
Perhaps I can add that If you are new to digital photography it's not really recommended to start with  the S5 Pro. It takes CF-cards only, and is terribly slow (unless you have very fast cards). The viewfinder is not so good (like the Nikon D200). It takes separate and special skills for post-processing, as not all the standard programs can read the raw files correctly.    Apart from that very good lenses are necessary for the best results. 

Results from the sensor of the Fuji S5 are even today very special; colorwise and the large dynamic range with a high range in the highlight-recovery.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 18:52:03 »
Results from the sensor of the Fuji S5 are even today very special; colorwise and the large dynamic range with a high range in the highlight-recovery.

Exactly the reason why I bother to use this camera at all. It lends a unique interpretation of false-colour IR, for example.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 19:46:45 »
Thank you and thus the reason I asked. I will pass on it.

How about a recommendation? I will continue to look for another D2h. I have 5 Nikkor lenses all AI manual focus that I use with the FTN. I need a good viewfinder and while my eyes are good, I am long past 25.

I would likely shoot jpeg only to start. My computer skills will need to improve if I am to do anything in raw.

I shoot mostly my kids in all kinds of situations but would like to expand my interests as I go. The D3 and D700 are beyond reach financially. Thank you.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 19:57:47 »
D2H or D300 perhaps? Old and thus long in the tooth, but still capable devices.

The D2X has come down in price too.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:06:39 »
One thing you should keep in mind would be the compatibility issue.  You cannot use the latest E-type lenses with the electric aperture and AF-P lenses with D2 series and D200 bodies.  Probably S5 Pro which is a derivative of D200 should not be compatible either.  D300 series bodies are not compatible with AF-P either (you can use E-type lenses with the firmware of the newest version).

Even if you are planning to use the MF lenses you already have for now, anything can happen.  One of the two current AF-P lenses is the affordable DX standard zoom (18-55) which is very handy and offers very good image quality in general.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:44:11 »
I pulled the proverbial trigger on a Nikon D2xs this evening. It will be in next week some time. No ERR issue and a good price. I am not sure I understand the lens delineations. For now...I will use the MF Nikkor lenses. Perhaps in time, I will graduate to an autofocus lens. I like to meter with an aperture ring.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 03:08:53 »
Congrats on your purchase!  As I enjoyed shooting with my D2H, I can be prertty sure you would enjoy your D2XS.  It was the last D2 series model, and thus the D2-related issue should have been addressed by its release.  The EN-EL4a battery is still available new (though fairly expensive).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:29 »
PKS,

If you do not wear glasses I definitely recommend a Nikon DK-17M eye piece. It magnifies the viewfinder image 1.2x and makes the D2 series cameras about as easy to focus on the matt surface of the viewing screen as an F3HP with a Red Dot B or E screen.

I wear glasses and shoot through them and I found the D2H viewfinder comfortable to use with the DK-17M. If you wear glasses you might give the DK-17M a try but buy it from a firm that allows 14 day returns.

Best,

Dave Hartman

I bought the 1.2x eyepiece for the D300s but I can't see the information at the bottom of the finder through the my glasses. The DK-17M fits my D800 but I have the same problem as with the D300s
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:41 »
The Nikon DK-17M is a great aid indeed, but it needs a round viewfinder. And therefore it will not fit the D200/D300/D600/D750.  Or did you have a work-around?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 09:57:52 »
In this case, the "work-around" is a D2XS ...

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:00:27 »
I must have misread Dave's message about the D300s  ;)

Torgeir Jensen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 00:27:10 »
The most annoying issue is of course the peculiar Fuji sensor and the weird RAF (raw) files that most software either don't understand or cannot decode properly. Although the camera is claimed to be 12 MPix, the effective pixel dimension corresponds to around 9 MPix due to the unique sensor design comprising small and large photo sites in combination. Thus I would hardly recommend this model as as the best entry into a world of digital photography.

I have an old S3 which is still working, but I'm not able to process the RAF files in AfterShot pro. I running Linux on my PC, so do you have any suggestions for a raw-file converter for this camera? I am mainly using it for BW photos.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 00:59:40 »
RawTherapee should be able to handle these RAFs.