Author Topic: Tripod Foot Arca-Swiss Modification - quick-release system of 70-200 2.8 Nikkors  (Read 3689 times)

chambeshi

Dear All

I’m consolidating plans for an integrated quick-release tripod-foot system for Nikkor telephotos that will be (1) Robust, (2) Arca-Swiss compatible (3) enable fitting a Quick-release foot (exemplified in the current 70-200 f2.8 Nikkors). I’ve mapped out the main features from www research, and my own equipment and that of friends. I still need to clarify a few key details. So what follows is a statement of progress and some theory still to be cross-validated. I’m seeking help on 2 niggling questions as to rationalizing on quality and cost:

My 1st Question is the Nikon tripod foot of the 70-200 f2.8G VR2 and 70-200 f2.8E FL VR2 Nikkors interchangeable?

2nd Question is how does the RT-1 Nikon collar perform on the 70-200 f4G and 300 f4E PF is users' experiences? namely when rotating the lens on a tripod?

If this is so, then one can use an alternative 3rd tripod foot sold on Amazon at reasonable price e.g. the Nicna QRP-03, Leofoto  or the SunwayFoto LF-N3 (among others) CAD-CAM machined from "aircraft-quality" aluminum alloy (i.e. not cast). There are also 3rd party tripod collars for the above lenses, but I'm still researching their quality.

Moreover, here comes an interesting gem of intelligence I discovered only recently. For US$12 (and less) the Nikon footplate of the 70-200 f2.8G can be replaced with the Sunway footplate. This is the LFM-N1 to which the tripod foot clips via its quick release mechanism. Now, the LFM-N1 opens up vast potential for a whole universe of modifications. These could solve many problems with inadequate tripod collars, which bedevil the performance of a few optics that are superb in all their other abilities (NG has many references to these! e.g. 300 f4G AFS). Above all the quick release foot (provided it is tight when fixed to the lens!) has many advantages for my line of work

https://www.amazon.com/SunwayFoto-Foot-Mount-Plate-70-200mm/dp/B00X8Q1WY6/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00X8Q1WY6&pd_rd_r=WYYKT99X0EEV266P75T5&pd_rd_w=nOrTo&pd_rd_wg=3FP4J&psc=1&refRID=WYYKT99X0EEV266P75T5
http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2015/05/replacement-foot-plate-for-nikon-70.html

I append 2 photos that reveal the dimensions etc of the LFM-N3

This has great potential to modify said Nikkor bedevilled with an inferior and/or integral solid tripod collar. I am pleased to see the central circular lug on the plate that will contain lateral torque on a tripod and save stress on the 4x 3mm mounting bolts, which are too thin to take much lateral stress:
1.   With a milling machine, mounted dremel (in worst case use a hacksaw) and cut off the existing foot close to the base of the tripod collar - making sure to leave sufficient material to hold the screws for the footplate.

2.   mill this  remaining "stump" flat i.e. horizontal.

3.   Drill central hole for Footplate lug. Drill and tap threaded holes to take 3mm stainless capscrews to attach Sunway footplate (i will add epoxy resin)

4.   Select the appropriate tripod foot of one's choice, which is Arca-Swiss compatible to boot. If one doesn't have the tools and facilities (in my case decent drillpress, dremels, gunsmithing tools etc with a milling machine pending) the machining job will need a skilled machinist, albeit subject to careful planning and research of course...

Some collars [eg 200f2, 300 f2.8] use a rectangular lug, which could complicate machining slightly. these may need drilling to hold the circular lug of the LFM-N1 footplate. With a lens with a thin/narrow collar like the 70-180 Micro-Nikkor, it would be best to fit instead an arca-swiss plate directly to the existing foot with 3mm screws up into the tripod neck (as Bjorn has done and I recently did - discussed in another NG thread).
Equally, for lenses such as the 300 f2.8 VR, the Nikon foot is simple to remove, and I'm happy with the Jobu arca-swiss foot I’ve replaced it with. I don't plan to detach it again for the uses I put this lens to. Nevertheless, it awaits to be seen if /how the Sunaway footplate could be modified (redrilled) to fit existing threaded holes in the diversity of Nikon tripod collars out there. For the largest Nikkor super telephotos (e.g. 800mm) there may be size weight constrains on this relatively small footplate which may require larger holding screws or not be even be suitable in anyway whatsoever! But I'm personally not acquainted with these lenses - yet :-)

It should also be feasible to drill new holes to fit the LFM-N1 to a narrower collar-base.  In extreme cases for opposite challenges, use Argon-Arc welding to make the Sunway footplate plate larger – machine it flat and clean etc and then drill new holes to fit one’s offending tripod collar and reanodize the modified footplate, which that will hold the quick-release 3rd party Arca-Swiss foot of one’s choice.

The 200mm f2 VR is a prime candidate for modification. This will allow the lens hood to fit in reverse position (and even the interchangeable, more robust hood off the 300 f2.8G) . One can then fit a longer, detachable foot with deeper neck to help handling the Fat-Man  ;) ;)

But my first aim here is to get this pending system to work on the 70-200 f4 and 300 f4E....either buying a RRS collar (expensive) or as described above machining the RT-1 or a cheaper 3rd party collar....

Pertinent links here :
https://www.amazon.com/Nicna-QRP-03-Quick-Release-Plate-70-200mm/dp/B00U3OSSPM/ref=pd_sbs_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00U3OSSPM&pd_rd_r=ZD09NV23ZC2JFBZM9ND9&pd_rd_w=1fpAM&pd_rd_wg=iCQoc&psc=1&refRID=ZD09NV23ZC2JFBZM9ND9

https://www.amazon.com/LEOFOTO-NF-200-Nikon-200mm-Compatible/dp/B01FENUXTU/ref=pd_cp_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01FENUXTU&pd_rd_r=39R7BBH0F5N1MQ2ABCCE&pd_rd_w=iCx5Z&pd_rd_wg=pGwRB&psc=1&refRID=39R7BBH0F5N1MQ2ABCCE

https://www.amazon.com/SunwayFoto-LF-N3-Quick-Release-Replacement-70-200mm/dp/B00PU6F996/ref=pd_sbs_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PU6F996&pd_rd_r=2327J8BRT8YVPMNY1MHN&pd_rd_w=DS23D&pd_rd_wg=HNc7f&psc=1&refRID=2327J8BRT8YVPMNY1MHN

RRS make the ideal solution with tripod collars with a quick-release arca-swiss foot. namely their LC-A12-Pkg but at a steep price:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/LC-A13-Pkg-Lens-collar-and-foot-package?_ga=1.90080211.976419345.1482584367

They also make the LCF-11 for the new 70-200 f2.8E Nikkor FL VR 3 Again it’s not yet clear if this fits the older 70-200 f2.8 G VR and VRII? ….
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/LCF-11-for-Nikon-70-200mm-f2-8E-FL-ED-VR-2016

Although it does seem they are compatible .... RRS state the LCF-11 to be "Compatible with AF-S Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR, or a Really Right Stuff LC-A10, LC-A11, LC-A12, LC-A13, and LC-A14 replacement collar."

RRS are not only harshly priced but hard to find outside of the US. And the same problem afflicts the legendary RRS tripods. They have no warranty effective in southern Africa etc, and no one markets them to my knowledge (nor in UK as far as I've seen). This is where Sirui out compete RRS (and Gitzo) in heads, tripods and prices....  In fact, I have standardized on the Sirui system, which is also fully Arca-Swiss compatiable. Their K-20X ball head is excellent with the safety spring-button on the arca-swiss plate [std feature on all models]. their tripods are damned good, including the waterproof W2204 carbonfibre - Sirui are justly described as clones of RRS

thank you and kind regards

Woody

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Answering your questions:

My 1st Question is the Nikon tripod foot of the 70-200 f2.8G VR2 and 70-200 f2.8E FL VR2 Nikkors interchangeable?

YES, but they have a different rear design. It means the foot for previous versions are a bit longer than needed, but it fits with no issues, just being a bit longer. I have the previous third-party one on my new E lens. BE AWARE that the foot replacing plate that you show (I had the RRS on my VRii) doesn't fit on the new E lens. The new E lens has already a perfectly strong, and well designed, foot plate, like the RRS one.

2nd Question is how does the RT-1 Nikon collar perform on the 70-200 f4G and 300 f4E PF is users' experiences? namely when rotating the lens on a tripod?

I did bought the 300 f4E without the Nikon collar. Mine have the dedicated Kirk, excellent in allaspects.

chambeshi

Thanks for your prompt answers PedroS and sharing this.

I've ordered a Sunway footplate, and will then have a live sample to work with...In fact after sleeping on it, i've come to realise machining a custom footplate for the tripod collar of the particular lens is likely to be simpler and result in a more robust mount, and will allow customizing the neck height. And i'll check out using stainless steel which i also think is better suited to support heavier telephotos, especially with the combined mass of a pro DSLR.

more planning and refining to follow  :)

kind regards

Woody

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
You're welcome.
Please show us later your results.