Author Topic: Rorslett's Rule  (Read 6529 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: Rorslett's Rule
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:15:04 »
I'm still tending to use fast zoom lenses rather than primes for casual photography, which I've been defining all along as without tripod.  This tends to be social events or quick shots while on the move. 

For "serious" photographic expeditions I tend to use larger formats and primes, a tripod, and live-view focusing, but since this gear is based out of a vehicle I can carry more lenses so I don't follow Rorslett's rule.  I might have several lenses in a single broadly similar focal length range, each lens with particular attributes, and several broad ranges of focal lengths. But there is also the option that I might go out on foot with just a few lenses selected from the overall group.

When at home, I do occasionally go out with just one prime, usually a normal or short telephoto, to challenge myself.  And when recording indoor social events I like to use my A6000 with 12mm and fast 24mm lenses (maybe a fast 50mm as well), a combo which follows the rule nicely and functions quite well for this work.

My recent experience in the Sierra Nevada (see my Yosemite thread) called my assumptions and habits into question, as I ended up using my lightweight small-format zoom kit (intended for quick shots to record the trip) for serious work for hours at a time while my full-frame camera with nice primes sat almost unused.  The one time I actually used the full-frame camera, perspective and framing required use of the zoom I had on hand.

The usual knocks on zooms are that they don't force discipline like primes do and the photographer ends up zooming instead of carefully choosing a perspective.  I'm mindful of this and generally choose perspective before touching the zoom ring.  The advantage of zooms is that one can choose both perspective and framing; being relegated to "foot zooming" means your perspective may not always be what you really want.  And of course for nature photographers foot zooming often just can't be done, especially in rugged country.

Nevertheless, on that trip I ended doing a great deal of cropping in post, despite my efforts to get the shots framed well when I took them.  One task I have is to go back and estimate effective focal lengths after cropping, and see what focal lengths would have worked up front if I'd done a more insightful job of composition in the field.

Another factor is that my DX shooting tends towards zooms due to a shortage of good autofocus primes in the wider focal lengths, and awkward focal lengths for autofocus primes beyond normal.  Maybe I'm trying too hard to not waste pixels, by seldom trying manual focus when I'm not using a tripod.  I am looking forward to eventually having a Df or Df2 and going out with manual focus primes to do what I used to do a long time ago.

All that said, my photography is in flux.  The past few years have consisted of trying to break up decades-old lazy patterns and relearn the craft.  My assumptions and concepts of how I go about photography have been changing and will change some more.  Thus, I'm not at any sort of end point or even a medium-term equilibrium.  My impending retirement will bring increased opportunities to try out different gear that I already own and challenge myself in new ways.  I'm confident this will include more work with primes.

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 20:11:33 »
24mm and 105mm f2.5 desert island lenses and a thousand fully charged batteries!! :D
If I had my old FM-2 just a thousand rolls of film..

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 20:57:35 »
Better have a solar panel powered generator. Charged batteries die off when stored so have to be recharged. and what about power for processing :D

The 24 + 105 combination with the odd 55 Micro thrown into the kit was my normal set up for many years.

Peter_S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 22:31:57 »
Last vacation I took with me
16/2.8 AFD for ultra wide angle (+ fisheye hemi and defishing later and FX/DX quasi zoom with D800)
28/1.8 AFS
85/1.4 AFD
and in a small pocket the pancake nikkor 50/1.8 with Dandelion chip
some of the other 30 lenses I didn't even use last year

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 16:20:20 »
For my D800:
16/3.5 AI
45/2.8 AI-P
105/2.5 AI-S

For my A7RII:
15/4.5 CV
35/2.8 Sony
135/3.4 APO Telyt

Bjorn is right - taking all my lenses leads to a mess and too many lens changes.  I've pretty much banished zooms from my FX kits these days (I need to liquidate them all  . . .).
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 03:12:08 »
For my D800:
16/3.5 AI
45/2.8 AI-P
105/2.5 AI-S

For my A7RII:
15/4.5 CV
35/2.8 Sony
135/3.4 APO Telyt

Bjorn is right - taking all my lenses leads to a mess and too many lens changes.  I've pretty much banished zooms from my FX kits these days (I need to liquidate them all  . . .).
I have a small handful of zooms including a Tokina 70-200mm f2.8 Pro that works for events and has a good image quality but hardly use it.
I bring my 200mm f4 Nikkor, 105mm f2.5 Ais, 24mm and 35mm. I may start using the AF 60 micro D and start calibrating my eye and composition to it.