Author Topic: Pink Footed Geese Snettisham RSPB North Norfolk  (Read 1442 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Pink Footed Geese Snettisham RSPB North Norfolk
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:06 »
The tidal region and mud flats referred to as "The Wash" on the North Norfolk/South Lincolnshire coast line has a annual visit from the
Pink Footed Goose.
These arrive in their thousands to over winter in the North Norfolk region. Their is a very supportive structure in place for them locally as they spend much of their day time inland on the agricultural fields, the local land owners grow winter wheat and barley that they do not carry out pest control measures on, the geese are welcome guests, they also leave the sugar beat harvesting to very late in the year, this allows the geese access to the topped leaves from the root crop, another great source of nutrition.
I went to the coast very early in the morning this week to witness their flight from their overnight roost on The Wash to their inland feeding
destinations. 
The three images show a flight heading in from the mudflats and then inland into the rising sun, this spectacle last about 30 minutes and the calling of the geese is something that will never be forgotten.
On a small note, it was sheer luck I caught a flock of the geese that have a formation that resembles the profile of a lioness head.  ::)     
John Gallagher

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Pink Footed Geese Snettisham RSPB North Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:20:55 »
John, these are absolutely spectacular, wanna-be-there kind of images!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 18:27:30 »
John, these are absolutely spectacular, wanna-be-there kind of images!
Can't say it better than this.  Outstanding shots.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 20:21:57 »
Very nice evening light and pearlstrings of geese. But you should clean your sensor. They really show against the sky.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 20:38:32 »
Great set of images. and well captured
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 20:45:50 »
Spectacular images!
(a pity about the dust on the sensor)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:38:02 »
Thank you for your very satisfying comments, I did not expect to receive such expression.
It would have been whole if the geese calls could have been heard, the energy surrounding this event is pure positivity.
My brother and I were both first time visitors to see this event, and after enquiring in the car park for directions to the viewing points we found many of the individuals turning up were on their first visit to. On the shoreline there were about 50 - 70 spectators, I.m sure we all have a indelible memory.
For the sensor part, I was shocked to by the visible spots, on the previous day to the trip, I cleaned the lenses I was taking, I cleaned the mirror in the body, and when pointing the body/lens to the bright sky on a tripod, I could see the two stubborn spots that did not lift on my
recent sensor clean. I did a full sensor clean and the worst offending spot was now a ghost of a mark and there was a spec mark in the  bottom left of the view finder. I was happy to use the set up like this.
I will check it out again today, in the bright light.
I may have created a problem by swapping the body across two lenses. The conditions on the coast in the dark were very cold, and there was a moisture in the air. Our ruck sacks were wet when removed from our backs. I set up two individual lenses on separate tripods, and was swapping the body between the lenses. All the kit was stored in a ruck sack bag in the warm house and then in a well heated car for about a hour on the journey. The ruck sack has a camping mat inside as a padding for extra protection, so you could say a insulated sack.
I,m just wondering if condensation collected when the camera internals, or rear lens element was exposed to the damp outside air ?
All will be revealed today on my investigation of the sensor.   
John Gallagher