Author Topic: Sundown  (Read 3168 times)

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Sundown
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:15:04 »
D810#3 Ft.Wm.Sr_140 by J T, on Flickr

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Sundown
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:05 »
These are my not so relevant views:
- perhaps pull up some shadows in the foreground
- perhaps avoid the roof sticking out on the left hand side
- perhaps make the foreground object more prominent
voila :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 17:57:04 »
Composition has no focus and is split.  I feel like I'm not looking at the sunset or the lighthouse and the image feels cluttered.  If you are going to take a lighthouse/sunset pic that close to the lighthouse, it would require some creative composition to enforce them both as focal points that aren't battling for attention.

Also, putting focal points off to the sides rarely works with a busy image.  Even more rare is two focal points on either side working out.

Good on you for looking for critique.  I need to be posting more in the critique section myself. 
-Tristin

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 19:03:58 »
I think the comments are harsh.

I find this a lovely scene, with beautiful light on the buildings.  The curve of the fence carries my eye through the image.
Anthony Macaulay

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 19:30:16 »
Thanks for the helpful tips. Luckily this is a local site for me and I have easy access.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 22:36:49 »
Before I read any of the comments, I had the same impression on some of the points.  I would prefer not to have the side of the building intruding on the foreground.  I like the fence leading line, but it doesn't really seem to point to anything in particular ( perhaps a different angle could help here.

I might try shooting from a position just past the small building in the foreground, very wide, trying to work the leading line of the fence at an angle where it points towards the sunset.

Neat that you can revisit this one and tinker!

I always having the tech details posted for critique images.  Camera and lens settings, and any post processing too.

Cheers

Randy

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 23:34:01 »
Thanks for the helpful tips. Luckily this is a local site for me and I have easy access.

Perfect!  Try new perspectives and approaches, there is almost always improvement to be had. ☺  It really helps to be conscious of what you are trying to convey, which is often harder to keep in mind than it sounds.  Very easy to succumb to trying to squeeze too much into an image, or to have too many expectations on what a single image can convey.  Which can lead to the former.  Especially in shots limited by time or access.  Take advantage of this scene and you will learn a lot.

I think the comments are harsh.

I reserve my ciritical opinions unless commenting on an image posted in the critique sub-forum. 😉
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:28:52 »
On a general note: critique often might appear "harsh" when the recipient is not ready for it. By its very nature, critique tends to apply in negative terms. After all, what is there to criticise when something appears perfect?

Praise is the opposite. Nicer, but much less helpful.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 03:38:15 »
To expand on Bjorn's comment.  I participate on a bird photography site where every image is critiqued, and it can seem a bit negative at times, but almost without exception the comments are given in a positive manner, with the intent of providing useful feedback, not just a "great shot" slap on the back, which is boring to read, and doesn't help the original poster learn and grow

And, the nice bit about doing thoughtful and detailed critiques, is it helps the person doing the critique as well.  To do a good job with the comments, you need to really study the image, and think about what works, and what doesn't.  This will help in your own images

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Cheers

Randy

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 09:15:53 »
The setting, the light and the lighthouse are very nice of course.   But as mentioned also by Tristin and Jakov, the bottom part is distracting from the total overview because of the subject focus.  To my feeling the image would already been stronger in a landscape or square mode concentrating on the sunset and the light on the house and lighthouse.  There are other interesting elements, like the birds and the stone which could have been a separate subject. 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 10:26:34 »
Stating that you like an images and why does help the photographer, otherwise how should he know he did a good photo?
Erik Lund

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 12:32:09 »
Here is another perspective of the site
D810#3 Ft. Williams Sunrise #4 24-70 HD16INITIALS by J T, on Flickr

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear