Author Topic: Calm Seas  (Read 2206 times)

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Calm Seas
« on: December 10, 2016, 22:10:47 »

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Calm Seas
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:21:49 »
The sun rendering is nice but the two old boats are not going to make it interesting enough I'm afraid...
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 13:56:22 »
I agree with Erik: the two boats are not in the right place to make it an interesting composition. Next time ... 😊👍
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 17:56:16 »
I agree with Erik: the two boats are not in the right place to make it an interesting composition. Next time ... 😊👍

Is it the boats that are not in the "right" place, or is it the frames of the image?
I think at least a more interesting picture could be found with a much tighter framing of the boats.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 18:09:55 »
The sun is heavily burned out, not surprising as there are cloud banks in front of it. This results in a large area being washed out and concomitantly detracting from the overall impact. Perhaps the scene contrasts were excessive and some kind of HDR or combining separate images to combat the dynamic range would be required.

The silhouettes of the boats would make stronger impact if the boats were rendered larger, and more attention paid to their positions inside the frame.

And so it goes. One has to work with the elements at hand in order to arrive at a final satisfactory product.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 21:54:17 »
While many photographers always try to avoid bleached out areas of clear white, I find the relatively small areas of sun and reflections that are burned out to be credible in the context of the picture.
The photo suggests to me what it might look like a few days into the aftermath of a large (kM sized) asteroid/meteorite hit, or during a super-active volcanic eruption period.
The lackluster condition of the boats contributes to the somber mood.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA