Author Topic: New production  (Read 9717 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
New production
« on: December 10, 2016, 12:44:17 »
I´m finally back...again.

This is an image from an ongoing project for the promotion of a new show. Haven´t even finished processing because of a problem with the computer; life goes on.

I had to do the shooting in a never seen before dance stage-studio with, lets say, less than optimal lighting. First day I delivered in those conditions I put a label in myself that is giving me both trouble and work: "I know you can do it"

The image showing here was taken using a wall in the corridor and light form a window once I grow tired of trying to make do with the other ones.

Now I will kindly ask that you forget all that story and give some criticism of the image by itself.
   There are more images, very different from each other, coming from this same day. If anything interesting pops up, I will share here as well

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I think it was Erik? who pointed out to be careful with the marks of the underwear. The advise was noted and the result here. Thanks!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: New production
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 14:24:42 »
IMO expression is good, muscle tension is good, the sex sells seduction topic is clearly worked out. Colors are good, skin tones not very smooth possibly due to light. I do not see MUA on her back also. I think this shot could raise some interest for the show.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 14:29:56 »
Really great!
All I would do is make sure is that the surface of her pants are smooth or more even.
Erik Lund

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 15:10:56 »
I find the image visually cacophonous.
Wonder what this does?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 16:45:23 »
the pants do not seem to fit correctly ?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 17:08:27 »
The shoe as head wear goes hand in hand with the crease in the pants. Adds a lot of interest to the final picture, whether it was intentional or not.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 17:19:55 »
Not that I can so this type of photography myself, but I find thelack of smoothness in then pants distracting.
Carl

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 17:59:37 »
I'd like to see more dynamic lighting, something that helps shape her and adds a stronger sense of depth to the picture.

Seeings how this is a posed studio shot is it an option to bring in your own lighting so you do not have to rely on the less than optimal existing lighting?

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 22:00:57 »
i don't know about you folks but the shoulder blades bother me.. otherwise nice.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 22:37:44 »
 I like the muscles and bones. The crease in the pants is more distracting. I think that B&W should work well, maybe give it a try ?
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 22:46:48 »
Welcome back, Paco.

I feel that the image lacks the focal point (not the focusing of the lens).  To me, the compositional elements with the strongest impact and attraction are the dancer's muscle on her back and the shoe on the head that reminds me of Salvador Dali.

I may try to trim the image right below her hands (but without trimming the frills of the left sleeve) and process it as B&W with the simulation of a high contrast grainy film with some vignetting on the corners.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 23:22:39 »
IMO expression is good, muscle tension is good, the sex sells seduction topic is clearly worked out. Colors are good, skin tones not very smooth possibly due to light. I do not see MUA on her back also. I think this shot could raise some interest for the show.
Thanks Frank, she is an accomplished dancer.
Really great!
All I would do is make sure is that the surface of her pants are smooth or more even.
Not that I can so this type of photography myself, but I find thelack of smoothness in then pants distracting.

The pants are not fitting. They are, for the sake of meaning, symbol, character and the show, a pair of real bullfighter´s pants with over a hundred years old. Wear out and not fitting are part of what we were looking for. Maybe not so succesful? Jury is out
   The shoe in the head was one of the motives we started the shooting.
I find the image visually cacophonous.

It can definitely be that. Not sure if you mean it as praise, critic or statement.

i don't know about you folks but the shoulder blades bother me.. otherwise nice.

Sorry it bothers you. I was looking for some expression in the back as well. Symmetry and static pose dindn´t work as well as this approach, I think.

I'd like to see more dynamic lighting, something that helps shape her and adds a stronger sense of depth to the picture.

Seeings how this is a posed studio shot is it an option to bring in your own lighting so you do not have to rely on the less than optimal existing lighting?
I like the muscles and bones. The crease in the pants is more distracting. I think that B&W should work well, maybe give it a try ?
Welcome back, Paco.

I feel that the image lacks the focal point (not the focusing of the lens).  To me, the compositional elements with the strongest impact and attraction are the dancer's muscle on her back and the shoe on the head that reminds me of Salvador Dali.

I may try to trim the image right below her hands (but without trimming the frills of the left sleeve) and process it as B&W with the simulation of a high contrast grainy film with some vignetting on the corners.

I tried the crop and bw processing. It does work but of course, it also makes for a whole new image.

Thank you all for your generosity with your comments and for stopping by. I hope my replays don´t come out as defensive or not appreciating yours, I´m trying to keep the conversation alive and on track for the purpose. Is very interesting to see how it is read as an standing alone image.
    This  is part of a session with some other targets in mind and a balance in general. I will try to put some here to give an idea of the work as a whole.

I´m back and my computer is working again :)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 23:33:13 »
Mongo had an instant reaction to this image (the first version). Mongo thinks the visual effect on one’s senses of any image is the most important. All the technical stuff and picking at small detail is of secondary importance e.g. the pants etc.

First reaction was that it is a fabulously creative composition and combination of elements that momentarily both puzzles and entices the senses. It has all the elements of a nude, mono, colour and almost abstract all in one (and possibly, a little Dali in there also). It is food for the senses and the mind. Needless to say, Mongo loves it and applauded its creator.

in relation to the pants and other points raised, perhaps these could be tidied up but would make no difference to its impact ; particularly its initial impact before viewers start examining every pixel. Mongo thinks an image like this is about the idea and not so much how it is executed. Its execution while not flawless, was pretty darn good in any event

In relation to the background, Mongo played with red, gold (from her pants) and dark charcoal but the original still seems best.

Thank you Paco for feeding Mongo’s starved imagination with something positively creative.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 23:55:39 »
Your B&W version is very effective. I'd however keep the legs, so the pants are more easily recognized, and (above all) the slender silhouette is kept. The crease can be slightly "ironed" in PS I guess.
Airy Magnien

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 23:59:23 »

Sorry it bothers you. I was looking for some expression in the back as well. Symmetry and static pose dindn´t work as well as this approach, I think.

Just me.. no big deal.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman