Author Topic: Dry pans  (Read 1323 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Dry pans
« on: December 02, 2016, 15:07:08 »
Cape Town, as many other places right now, is dry. Our dam levels are very low and we have water restrictions in place. I took a client to an area where there usually is so much water and birds - I was sad to see how dry some of the pans were
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Dry pans
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 15:11:09 »
Yes-dry, but good pix! Flamingos?
Andrew Iwanowski

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 15:12:37 »
thank you Andrew - yes they are Greater Flamingos
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 15:38:38 »
The drought certainly creates some special colours of its own along the shores of these vleis... very suitable as a colour background setting for the Flamingo !!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 16:33:42 »
Very very true Bjørn - and I am sure other species of animal and plant makes it's presence known in conditions like these. Thank you for commenting.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 17:10:35 »
Nice scene Elsa! It certainly is beautiful even though its dry. I love pictures were wildlife and their environment is shown in such a way.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 17:23:48 »
Elsa, where did you hire these flamingos to fly at the perfect timing and in the perfect poses?!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 17:28:31 »
I like the colours and the Flamingo's in it makes it special.
Chris Dees

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 17:34:34 »
Elsa - Very nice and I agree with what Bjorn said about the colors of the exposed pans complementing the birds. I like the extended but narrow dimensions of the shot as well, further complement to the these long-necked and long-legged birds.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 22:36:47 »
Thank you all for the comments. The pano is a stack and blend - I think 21 photos in all. I was shooting with the 200-500 so the band was narrow. There are so many flamingos here at this spot - you cant miss them -  there are LOTS. The come from any direction and you can politely "get them moving along" by just walking closer - then you have several in the air to shoot :) In fact this is bird haven. There are currently 3 more species that have been seen in the past week - never seen there before. A total of 168 (and counting) species have been recorded here. These pans are a must -see for any visitor to Cape Town - and only 10km from my home. There are buck, mongoose etc there as well. You drive around in your vehicle - stop if you want to - get out and shoot - or shoot from the car - so no walking involved unless you really want to. Doesn't get better than this.
Another small patchy :)