Author Topic: Mothra  (Read 3238 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Mothra
« on: December 28, 2016, 23:37:16 »
This is a shot I took with my Tokina macro lens. I'm still looking for the shooting parameters and will post them as soon as I can find them. At one time I could give you the name of the moth as well, but I've forgotten it and so will have to do some digging.

I found the shooting data. Exposure was 1/13 sec at f/16. Exposure compensation was +1.3 stops. I have a set of Kenko extension tubes and I believe I used a couple of them to capture this image.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Mothra
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:51:38 »
A nice, clear shot of one of the more spectacular moths I've ever seen.  It's 'face' does somewhat resemble Mothra .
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:01:35 »
A nice, clear shot of one of the more spectacular moths I've ever seen.  It's 'face' does somewhat resemble Mothra .

I believe it is a cecropia moth, the largest N. American moth.  At least that is the name which has bubbled to the top, not necessarily any indicator of accuracy. Thank you for your comment.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:36:49 »
I like your picture very much. The colors are spectacular and you have shown the creature to good effect.

I thought the Luna moth I found on our front porch was large but you sent my to the internet where I found out the Cecropia has a wingspan of six inches. That is something else altogether.

I hope I see one of these some day.

Thanks for posting.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:51:38 »
Beautiful moth.  Have you seen the little sisters?   ;)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:05 »
Phantastic shot of a creepy creature. A Wow experience for me. Did you have enough natural light? The nice diffuse light adds very much to the shot. How much "real stop" is f/16 with "several" extensions?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:54 »
I like your picture very much. The colors are spectacular and you have shown the creature to good effect.

I thought the Luna moth I found on our front porch was large but you sent my to the internet where I found out the Cecropia has a wingspan of six inches. That is something else altogether.

I hope I see one of these some day.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you for your comment. I had a similar view of the Luna moth, but then a friend who raises moths and butterflies as a hobby showed me this cecropia and I changed my mind.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 11:21:11 »
Beautiful moth.  Have you seen the little sisters?   ;)
Thank you for your comment. I may have met the sisters at a bar in Yokohama, at least that's who they told me they were . . .

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:45:51 »
Phantastic shot of a creepy creature. A Wow experience for me. Did you have enough natural light? The nice diffuse light adds very much to the shot. How much "real stop" is f/16 with "several" extensions?
It has been several years since I took the shot, but I believe it was a typical overcast Florida morning, lots and lots of diffuse light. I've never done any calculations to see what the "real" stop is. The extensions are all of different lengths and can be used alone or can be stacked to give various degrees of image magnification. My usual procedure is to guess as to which extension or extensions I need and then to proceed by trial and error until I have a good image size. I may still have the package insert and it may speak to the effect of the extensions on f stop. If it does, I'll post the information for you.  Thank you for your very kind comment. I've always liked the image myself, but I never thought of the moth as creepy, to me it looks more like a kid's plush toy. Perhaps that's because my friend who raises them told me most moths, unlike mothra, don't have mouth parts and so couldn't bite even if they were so inclined.

Edit: The nice thing about photographing moths as opposed to butterflies is that moths are inclined to stay in one place, especially during daylight hours. So, it is easy to get nice, clear images and there's usually no concern over exposure time, since they won't move unless they are really poked. Butterflies are much more difficult to shoot because they are in constant motion. Also, the good colors are usually on just one side of the wing, so they present a double challenge. When I shoot butterflies, I like to use off camera flash and usually shoot at 1/250 of a second and use auto-iso. There would almost never be a situation where 1/13 second would work as an exposure time for butterflies.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:58:38 »
Beautiful moth! So who one Mothra or Godzilla?

Thank You,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 13:23:24 »
Beautiful moth! So who one Mothra or Godzilla?

Thank You,

Dave Hartman

Thank you for your comment. Wikipedia has an article you might find to be of interest on the mothra/godzilla wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothra