Author Topic: Wrong season  (Read 2148 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Wrong season
« on: November 27, 2016, 22:10:55 »
Df, Zeiss 135/2 wide open, 2500 ISO, 1/160 handheld. Output using capture NX-D. No correction in PP.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Wrong season
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 22:12:37 »
Afterthought - too dark; +1/2 EV seems OK.
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:00 »
Good results from lens and camera, and especially for the hand-holding.  The mix of blue-green(mercury vapor?) and tungsten-looking light is very difficult to make look good.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:07 »
Actually, it is a mix of various sources, the diffuse blueish one from the left side being daylight (short before sunset, very cold). Inner sources are indeed a hopeless mix. I do not exactly know the nature of the spotlight coming from upper right (the one projecting the shadow). In such case I just focus on the framing and let things happen. If too ugly, B&W conversion with filtering is still an option.

In the present cases, a body with wounds and bruises can take haphazard lighting as an additional injury (and sorry for apparent irreverence).
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:52 »
That is where the fifth generation cameras do their magic: White balance in mixed light situations. I do not understand why this is not possible in Post, why most Nikon shots have this orange or green sauce spilled all over them.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 16:14:47 »
I would think the initial darkish image conveys the suffer of Jesus rather well.  The mixed color cast, a bit Rouault-esque, looks fitting to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 18:43:54 »
I am with Akira here
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 21:28:03 »
Thanks all for comments.

Elsa, the darkness is hard to assess because there is no absolute measure. When switching from one (calibrated) monitor to another, or one uncontrolled ambience to another, I keep changing my mind. I wonder what it looks like when preparing prints for an exhibition, as a professional.

Akira, you must be my neighbour, given your knowledge of French arts and music (okay, Japan is definitely a place for artists). Rouault did not spontaneously spring into my mind but yes, those polychrome woods look similarly inspired.

Frank, I see your point but do not quite understand how you would assess the Df here. Generally speaking it does well under mixed light conditions, also because the color fidelity does not degrade as fast as the D700 at high ISO. On the other hand, when high pressure sodium bulbs are at work, there is nothing even modern sensors could do - the only escape is B&W (or massive de-saturation of yellows).

Pluton, I'll check again where the green comes from. That church (Lille, St Maurice) has a messy lighting, partly by uninspired engineers handling it as a manufacturing hall, partly by even less inspired artists who want Mr. Parson superstar acting on a stage.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 09:27:17 »
Airy: Simply get a loaner D5 or D500 for a weekend, rush it through the worst light you might find and through insane ISO. Develop in NX-D. Then you have a benchmark for color consitency. I did not believe it, before I saw it myself. Flattening. Flattering. Fascinating. Invaluable.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:51:50 »
Sounds good. The kind of news that would make me want a successor to the Df, so I'll keep my fingers off your tempting suggestion until at least the Df MkII becomes available.
Airy Magnien