Author Topic: Subjective review of Salon de la Photo Paris 2016  (Read 12951 times)

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
Subjective review of Salon de la Photo Paris 2016
« on: November 13, 2016, 18:10:58 »
For once I was in Paris (more or less my home town) for the Salon de la Photo so Idecided to take advantage of the Nikon invitation and go there for a visit. I had very little on my agenda except for viewing (and hopefully manipulating) the new PC-19 E in the flesh, so to speak. Turned out completely different, but still interesting.

Nikon: I arrived in the morning at the opening, they were the first ones I visited. Lens desk was already crowded, found a rep who was apparently doing nothing, and not engaged in a conversation anyway, started to ask if I could view the PC-E 19mm. Even before I could finish my question, I was told, politely but certainly not courteously, that said rep was engaged with another visitor and I would have to wait for my turn. It was a bit early for me to start a fight and I cowardly left. Each time I 've been in contact with official Nikon services for one reason or another the answer was always no so not so surprised here.

Panasonic: I explained I was looking for a second body and was tempted by a mirrorless. Coudl handle several models, nice rep who during the discussion suggested a compact with fixed lens. Anyone who doesn't try to point me to more expensive gear wins a lot of respect in my book. These are nice cameras to handle, I still have an issue (purely personal) with EVFs.

Sigma: I could have a look (and feel) of the new mirrorless APS-C. On paper, I have a very positive judgment for anyone who tries to innovate and use something else that the Bayer sensor everyone else (or almost) uses. In practice, the camera is big, and I mean really big, and heavy,, for a mirrorless. EVF is disappointing, but they have nice tech, like indicating all areas that are in focus when you do not use AF. Looks like a prototype that went straight to market, which can have an appeal.

Fujifilm: Told a rep that they have very nice gear but I found them on the expensive side compared to FF DSLRs. Was met with a barrage of sales pitch about how sensor format doesn't matter anymore. Nothing you haven't heard before and which may even be true, but the problem was i couldn't stop the guy as I realized I was going to antagonize him. So I patiently waited and when he was finished I asked why, if sensor size doesn't matter, is Fuji about to release a medium-format? The answer was that yes eventually sensor size matters (!) but anyway the point for Fujifilm is to occupy market segments where there is less competition. Which all makes sense from a marketing point of view but left me a bit cold technically speaking. The X-Pro 2 hybrid viewfinder is nothing short of superb.

Pentax: I spent a few minutes with the FF K-1 and this was the true discovery of the visit. On paper and on the web, I'd found the K-1 a very ugly beast. In real life, it will surely not win any design award, at least if I am in the jury (chances are nil), but the handling is excellent. The viewfinder is bright and clear, info is perfectly legible. I asked the rep extensively about lenses, and based on my questions, he understood at once what i like to photograph, gave me honest answers, i.e. the line of lenses is not complete and they have no Pentax tilt-shifts for instance. All in all, very tempting for the future.

Samyang: I could briefly try their 24mm tilt-shift (which comes also in Pentax K-mount by the way). Build quality obviously much lower that Nikon's, which the rep readily admitted. Not the same price though, as everyone knows, and optical quality seems ok, though it's difficult to assess in such a show.

Overall an interesting visit.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Subjective review of Salon de la Photo Paris 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 18:57:30 »
Nice stories, telling a lot in a nutshell. I regret the Nikon attitude. I find the Df so kind to the user :) , why are their sales reps so nasty ?
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 19:25:24 »
Must be a local speciality, as my general experience is the opposite of what is described.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 19:41:17 »
Yeah, French snobism maybe ?
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 19:42:48 »
Not my words nor intention, just an observation.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 19:58:06 »
;) but I mean it. Snobism, or arrogance, are more common here than, say, in Iceland (I've never been in Norway, so I cannot tell).
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 20:09:13 »
Oh well. We have a single point of data, nothing more. Time to move on  to more important matters.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 20:27:32 »
I briefly handled Sigma sd Quattro.  The handling was marvelous in the portrait orientation but a nighmare in the landscape orientation, especially for the left-eyed people like me.  I think it would be better to look at the larger format sd Quattro H, and use it mainly on a tripod.

I had the same impression about Pentax K-1.  In fact, it is the smallest full frame DSLR on the market and at the same time, the heaviest except for the Canon and Nikon ones with integrated vertical grips.  The handling was nice.  That said, now that both Fuji and Hasselblad went into MF, Pentax should have skipped the full frame and nurture its 645 system, in my opinion...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 20:42:16 »
I briefly handled Sigma sd Quattro.  The handling was marvelous in the portrait orientation but a nighmare in the landscape orientation, especially for the left-eyed people like me.  I think it would be better to look at the larger format sd Quattro H, and use it mainly on a tripod.

I had the same impression about Pentax K-1.  In fact, it is the smallest full frame DSLR on the market and at the same time, the heaviest except for the Canon and Nikon ones with integrated vertical grips.  The handling was nice.  That said, now that both Fuji and Hasselblad went into MF, Pentax should have skipped the full frame and nurture its 645 system, in my opinion...

Akira, you're right about the SIgma SD. I am left-eyed too and that is partly why I found the handling clumsy. I beg to differ regarding the Pentax K-1. True, Fuji and Hasselblad went medium-format, but also mirrorless, which I am not ready for.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 20:51:04 »
Albert, I have used various mirrorless cameras and am well aware of their advantages over DSLRs.  But, alas, the EVFs have never been friendly to my eye: they are too bright and contrasty.  I tried to insert ND or light yellow gel filters into the eyepiece to reduce the brightness and the contrast, which was effective, but the the finder view is too dark under the sun.  So, I gave up at least for now and reverted back to the DSLR (D750).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 10:19:50 »
Thank you for your impressions & report, Albert!

I can echo your impression of the hybrid XPro2 view finder which is the first EVF that I found acceptable, in direct comparsion to the Leica SL even slightly better. The XPro OVF does not make so much sense because only a few pancake optics do not obscure it...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 13:54:12 »
EVF's are probably the future; these are certainly not the present. Even the Sony Alpha 7 or Leica SL are not up to my expectations.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν