Author Topic: AFS 70-200mm/2.8 FL E - first impressions  (Read 20466 times)

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: AFS 70-200mm/2.8 FL E - first impressions
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2016, 16:29:54 »
You're welcome  :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2016, 17:30:05 »
They even made the front of the petal shaped lens hood flat again so that it doesn't tumble over when put down front first on the hood :)
,,, While for instance changing lenses and mounting the rear lens cap,,,  :o :o :o  I'm not in the habit of  knocking over lenses  :o
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2016, 22:14:24 »
You're welcome  :)

,,, While for instance changing lenses and mounting the rear lens cap,,,  :o :o :o  I'm not in the habit of  knocking over lenses  :o

Pedro, apparently we are not alone.   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2016, 13:29:21 »
A tall lens that is standing on its hood can be knocked about even if the photographer is careful. For example, some kid can run around and knock it over. I once experienced a lens being flown like this. I have no idea why that kid decided that between my legs there was enough space to go through. He didn't notice the lens which landed a couple of meters away. The lens survived, I was lucky. I try to set things so that this kind of events are unlikely. By putting the lens on its side is one approach to minimize probability of a fall.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2016, 13:36:25 »
Just goes to show different approaches to handling gear, insurance covers accidental damages, even by kids.
These lenses and all of the long tele lenses has rubber bumpers on the front of the lens for the same reason, also the lens hoods of the long teles has rubber bumpers :)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2016, 13:48:19 »
Bystanders are always a potential danger when one swaps lenses. Doesn't really matter if the lens is stood on its hood (most convenient) or put on the side (less convenient). They can make sudden moves and topple your gear over or kick it away in the blink of a second.

All the long lenses from Nikon are designed to be stood front down. That has been the main principle for decades.

The weather change of yesterday leading to fog and rain has thwarted my attempts of landscape shooting with the 70-200E. Aargh. Not to mention how the weather restricts outdoors use of the 19 PC-E with its massive unprotected bulbous front :(

The conclusions up to now for the 70-200E indicate one really gets optical superiority in return for all the money the lens costs. Plus handling is much better in my opinion than that of its predecessors. The latter point should be stressed as initially some assertions to the contrary were made on various web sites.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 15:40:52 »
Its evitable of advantage when you can place the lens onits hood somewhat stable at least temporarily

The evidence condenses that in terms of IQ and handling this new lens is a significant improvement, i might go for it, avoided the 70-200s is far and still use the 80-200 AF-S. Dont use it much because this lens type is not of primary importance for me
Wolfgang Rehm

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2016, 15:43:31 »
I applied today the best possible protection for the new lens. I mixed it up with the VR II and had the wrong lens with me ;) (Not that the G lens is a bad lens, but the E was the one I wanted to give try). Had the lens on my camera body , thought it was the E, didn't pay too much attention and packed the G lens. The E lens was in another room. Silly me. Won't probably happen again :)

Unfortunately, no speedy AF tests with the E then (I spare you the G pictures).

Took only a few E photos in my garden when I came back. The low MFD is very compelling. Didn't miss it with the G until I tried the E. Bokeh at MFD is particularly creamy, so a short MFD is a nice add-on in the bokeh department as well.

Ghosting/flare:
At 200mm the lens is very flare resistant. Having the sun just outside the visible frame doesn't produce flares (at least not during the short period where I deliberaty tried to produce some).
It is different at the short end. At 70mm and at f2.8 it is relatively easy to produce visible flare. Stopping down a bit suppresses flare very fast. At f8, the same scene that produced flare at f2.8 is more or less "clean".

rgds,
Andy

1) This is what I wanted to do with the E lens, while walking the dog. Screwed it up.
2) I have the impression, that the D5 produces in the average "warmer" pictures with the E vs. the G lens. Don't know if this by the optical elements or coatings in the lens, or rather driven by different firmware settings.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 15:48:13 »
Things like that can always happen Andy, especially when the lens collection is huge
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2016, 12:53:01 »
I managed to get my hands on the new 70-200E. I immediately noticed the lighter weight. My fingers naturally fall on the zoom ring, it seems to be in perfect position. I could not inadvertently nudge the focus ring. In the VR G II version, the focus ring is further out than the zoom ring of the new lens, and the weight distributions are different. I was initially concerned about the ring swap but it turns out unfounded. The new lens has a tripod foot which is a tighter fit in the dovetail and feels more firm.

I fear that resistance may now be pointless. ;-)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2016, 13:00:29 »
Your experiences echo mine, Ilkka. A true quality optic from Nikon and the change in lens layout appears to be functional and very well thought out.

Only difference is my resistance might be more firm as I tend not to employ this lens class for my normal work. I keep repeating that phrase for myself all the time :D

chambeshi

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2016, 17:28:54 »
Another recent test comparing new 70-200 E against the G model. It sharpens my appetite for this new lens all the more!

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/11/19/nikon-af-s-nikkor-70-200mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-vr-lens-review.aspx/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2016, 17:38:45 »
Agree with these observations, except for the apparently tacked-on comment about handling issues. Seems like the reviewer just remembered people were talking about this so had to throw in a comment. No explanation why the problem should exist, which is strange if he really used the lens, as it handles perceptibly better than the older model ....

chambeshi

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2016, 18:32:27 »
Agree with these observations, except for the apparently tacked-on comment about handling issues. Seems like the reviewer just remembered people were talking about this so had to throw in a comment. No explanation why the problem should exist, which is strange if he really used the lens, as it handles perceptibly better than the older model ....

Yes, I agree fully. I finally got to try this lens on my D500 - last week at Grays in London. All too short, though. The graphics and AF are certainly impressive The positions of focus and zoom gave me no problems

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2016, 20:33:02 »
First Futsal game covered and boy, for the first 10~15 min I was lost with the controls... One thing is thinking about them, other is doing as second nature, in the heat of the action.
But after those horrifying looooonnnng minutes, things started to get natural, and at the end I was not thinking at all to zoom in-out, or to quickly correct focus. Not yet tried the focus memory, thought.

IQ is brilliant, AF speed from outside of this world, VR more than capable, contrast spectacular, and very, very flare resistant. The zoom ring is so smooth, that seems not to be connected...
Did everything handheld, and in fact the foot does not only help as a hand support, but acts, as a perfect platform to control the lens.
All in all, a piece of joy, that you don't want to put it down.