Author Topic: Washi films  (Read 5034 times)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Washi films
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:21:25 »
Washi is a new-ish French firm (http://filmwashi.com/) selling some interesting film varieties. 

The one that has caught my eye is the W film: an orthochromatic emulsion coated on Japanese kozo tissue-paper.  Apparently you process the film as a negative using paper developer, with the combination of high blue sensitivity-no red sensitivity and the paper character offering interesting expressive possibilities.

I have ordered a couple of rolls and I will show the results when I have them, but if by chance anyone has tried it already I would be grateful for any advice.     

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Washi films
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:10:09 »
We have to wait with abated breath then. Perhaps this will spell the end of PS filters to create a 'genuine' look?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 14:22:13 »
Wow. Cannot wait to see results!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:17:24 »
Here is the result of film number one.  Exposure was calculated from incident light with the film rated at ISO 6, which is the manufacturer's suggestion if using Ilford PQ developer.  The data sheet has relatively vague indications of development times, and this was 3 minutes, and clearly a shade long.  It is snowing here now, but if it stops I will do film number 2 today - and develop less. 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:28:33 »
Well it's a trip back in time for sure! :)
Erik Lund

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 13:55:58 »
Well it's a trip back in time for sure! :)

I can envisage pictures it would be a nice effect with, but the paper grain is so dominant it is of less appeal, to my eye, than more subtle alternative processes such as pinhole and cyanotype.

Not a waste, however: anything that gets you out of your comfort zone and makes you look for different kinds of images is good. 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 14:08:14 »
This would be amazing for really letting the creative heart speak through my F5,,, Feeling inspired,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 14:25:04 »
Something for a 4x5" view camera, that's for sure !!

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 14:41:45 »
This would be amazing for really letting the creative heart speak through my F5,,, Feeling inspired,,,

Because of the fragility of the paper they say you can't use it in a camera with automatic film advance - ie, all the recent Nikons, including the F5; the datasheet says they have tested it with the FE and FM2, so presumably the FM3 and FM10 would work as well. 

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 15:19:37 »
Or use the original Nikon, the Nikon F ?

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 16:20:03 »
Or use the original Nikon, the Nikon F ?

It is not on their list but I expect it would work.  The other incompatibility is cameras with no manual DX setting.  The list of tested cameras is at http://filmwashi.com/products/datasheet-W.pdf 

Here is another image

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 16:53:20 »
A plain eye-level Nikon F is basically a light tight box with lens mount, finder, shutter, release, and film transport. Hard to get stuff more  basic.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 17:24:22 »
Great shot! Bring me back in time to my childhood,,,

Of course it would be blasphemy to run it through the F5 I realize that - Thank you for stating the obvious!

Nikon F,,, or medium format,,, Bronica or hasselblad 500
Erik Lund

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 18:39:06 »
Great shot! Bring me back in time to my childhood,,,

Of course it would be blasphemy to run it through the F5 I realize that - Thank you for stating the obvious!

Nikon F,,, or medium format,,, Bronica or hasselblad 500

In my case the blasphemy would be when I opened the back after - as I thought - taking a roll full of images and found the film advance had torn the paper on the first frame.  The patron saint of photographers is St Veronica, just for information. 

There is an element of the steampunk esthetic here, of liking a world in which it was easy to tinker with technology and there was more craft and things were expected to last longer than their batteries.  I knew I had come home when I read the manual for my first Mamiya 645, and I reached the section on maintenance: "Your camera has mechanisms like film transport, shutter and diaphragm blades, etc.  They are controlled by gears, levers, springs, and so on.  All require special lubrication from time to time". 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 22:31:08 »
Epic!
Erik Lund