Author Topic: Candid Portrait Nikkor-P 105mm 2.5.  (Read 8471 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Candid Portrait Nikkor-P 105mm 2.5.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 09:27:08 »
Thank you for being open to discussion.

My strategy in this case would have been to take the chair in front and move it away. Possibly embedding the thing in a story not to kill the flow of the scene.

Imagine. You take the chair, sit, look out of the window in silence for a while, after 5 minutes stand up, position the chair and get thus a better angle. Even further: put my camera on the table, ask my "model" to watch it for a moment, get outside, reposition the barrow either myself or find someone...

I would still call that candid, maybe "embedded candid" ....

Chances are you find more models and shooting opportunities that way.

Ideology is that even a "stolen" shot is a shot I will have influenced with my presence.

What do you think?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 18:51:36 »
Thank you for being open to discussion.

My strategy in this case would have been to take the chair in front and move it away. Possibly embedding the thing in a story not to kill the flow of the scene.

Imagine. You take the chair, sit, look out of the window in silence for a while, after 5 minutes stand up, position the chair and get thus a better angle. Even further: put my camera on the table, ask my "model" to watch it for a moment, get outside, reposition the barrow either myself or find someone...

I would still call that candid, maybe "embedded candid" ....

Chances are you find more models and shooting opportunities that way.

Ideology is that even a "stolen" shot is a shot I will have influenced with my presence.

What do you think?

That was not possible Frank, the barrow is this guys tools and the fact if you know the area Ive lived in for almost 20 years it is still traditional old school Northern New Mexican Hispanic culture and the trust thing and family is sacred to most of them. The older folks tend to keep themselves to themselves.

The chair in question was right next to him as truly it was a tight spot in the dining area, I was less than 10 feet away when I shot this.
Not that he was not unapproachable but it would have made him uncomfortable just spotting right next to him.
 I was already sitting at my table gorging on my lunch when this gent sat down.

I have seen this guy a few times in passing at this store on my way to Colorado, I guess my next approach is to have a friendly chat with him and get to know him.
Frank trust me when I was pushing the button I was back minding the chair and the bright green barrow as well as when I was doing post.

But your comments give me a better thought for approach and planning maybe better than what I already do. Being I was a Freelance News Paper photographer back in my film days when I took the straight on approaches for the moment, as I was young fearless and ambitious to get the shot no matter what and collecting stupid fat checks for my photos.
Now I have taken a relaxed approach these days as I don't make a living at it anymore and like to be less intrusive.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 19:48:39 »
... The older folks tend to keep themselves to themselves...
and this image reflects it perfectly

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 20:23:47 »
Love the discussion, thank you very much!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 20:27:11 »
Peter,

The color looks a bit different on my old iMac compared to Windows 7 computer but both are pleasing.

The one thing I notice on both computers is the photograph is over sharpened. This can easily happen when posting to a forum as the image will probably be sharpened by the forum software over and above any sharpening done by the photographer during post processing. I generally under sharpen a photo intended for uploading. It's a matter of trial and error with each site where I post.

Dave

---

The 105 at this distance add a light touch of isolation. A 50 or even 85mm lens would require moving closer for the same crop and the feeling of isolation would drop off. There may not have been enough room for a 135 and the feeling of isolation would increase probably too much. The distance sets the perspective while the perspective affects the emotional feel of the image.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 00:34:34 »
I agree Dave, pull back on the sharpen for small web images like these,,,
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:30 »
Sonnar & Gauss  :o :o :o

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 04:36:18 »
I agree Dave, pull back on the sharpen for small web images like these,,,
Does this help?

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 04:38:00 »
Sonnar & Gauss  :o :o :o
The Gauss would be the Nikkor-K with f32 I have the same one.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 08:55:12 »
From Roland Vink's web site, the Sonnar lenses (F-Type) have serial numbers in the range of 120101 to 286276, and Gauss lenses have serial numbers in the range 407301-1092538.

Link:  http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#105

Sonnar lenses have five elements in three groups (5E/3G), whereas Gauss lenses have 5 elements in four groups (5E/4G).

I prefer my K-Type to my AiS version on account of the 170 degree focus throw of the K to the 140 degee focus throw of the AiS.  I also much prefer the external lens hood of the K.

Back to Peter's lovely image:  I see a guy having lunch amongst his tools of trade, and don't have an issue with the wheel outside the window or the barrow.  I agree that in a posed shot they would be an intrusion, but in a situational pose, they are part of what the man is about or does.  But that is just me - I acknowledge that others mileage may differ.
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 09:14:41 »
I am also seeing a great shot, an environmental capture framed nicely!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:35 »
The 105/2.5, in fact all versions of it, is the ultimate portrait lens when sufficient working room is available. Indoors, the 85 mm class might be advantageous.

Here Jan Anne of the NG Team is enjoying a Slovenian ice cream. (Df, 105/2.5 K)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 13:16:03 »
wow :o :o :o