Author Topic: Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 discussion and variants comparison.  (Read 22787 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 discussion and variants comparison.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 23:33:33 »
this is the weakness of the lens. :o :o :o

the glass's frame looks to be in focus but it's not sharp due to artefacts and that ugly flare that fills the frame at times. this looks like a characteristic of the Nikkor-S 50 series...

but it does make the image more "painterly" and organic, things that we do not usually see in modern optics these days.

On another forum some years back a guy offered a 50/1.4 Nikkor-S and a 135/3.5 Nikkor-Q No. 8955xx. The latter has blue and violet colored coatings viewed from the front. I waited about a week and when no one asked for these lenses I did. I waited as I had 30 + manual focus Nikkors at the time and didn't want to be greedy.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 01:35:30 »
I have the last "non-Ai" version with the reddish hue coating. (I notched the aperture ring/Ai'd it myself)

The biggest problem with this & others are the modern Dslr focusing screens. (Yes it's close and I use the focus assist feature.) I wish, I wish to have my old bright spot or rangefinder focusing screen on a newish, digital camera.
(Personally, I pretty much dislike AF on anything resembling a 35mm camera.)

"No. I am not grumpy. Laughter is the best medicine, cure all......whatsoever."

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 02:53:19 »
On another forum some years back a guy offered a 50/1.4 Nikkor-S and a 135/3.5 Nikkor-Q No. 8955xx. The latter has blue and violet colored coatings viewed from the front. I waited about a week and when no one asked for these lenses I did. I waited as I had 30 + manual focus Nikkors at the time and didn't want to be greedy.

Dave

David, I am now closing to 100 :o :o :o i am now a filthy collector ::)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 02:01:58 »

The biggest problem with this & others are the modern Dslr focusing screens.

https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

Me and a couple of people have converted our screens :o :o :o

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 02:21:04 »
You devil Richard, LOL!  Keep up the good work!  ;D  ;D  ;D

David, I am now closing to 100 :o :o :o i am now a filthy collector ::)
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 05:05:38 »
You devil Richard, LOL!  Keep up the good work!  ;D  ;D  ;D

hard to slow down with all the nice junks around :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 12:58:16 »
Roland, maybe you could add the 'color' of the coating in your lens serial nr page, next to the coating information or on the top of the page, you seem to have the data at hand,,,

20mm UD is reportedly good for IR,,,

Thanks!
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 16:37:32 »
Roland, maybe you could add the 'color' of the coating in your lens serial nr page, next to the coating information or on the top of the page, you seem to have the data at hand,,,

20mm UD is reportedly good for IR,,,

Thanks!
This would be interesting, but in order to be accurate, the serial number would have to linked to the observed sample, and the light source would have to be specified.  Also, color perception varies between people.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 20:30:24 »
I do keep some notes on lens coatings, some of which are included on my serial number page. For example, there is a note where the rear coating of the Nikkor-P 10.5cm changes to purple - although I neglected to add that previously it is amber - I probably should add it. I also note where SIC coating appears on some lenses, although that is not comprehensive - mostly on some AIS lenses where the change is obvious. So far I haven't bothered to find the same change in AF lenses, and in some cases the difference between older NIC and newer SIC coatings is not obvious so it is hard to tell.

Regarding lens coatings generally, as pluton said, coatings can appear quite different depending on the light source, colour perception, and also the viewing angle - multicoated lenses in particular can have very different colours when viewed from different angles. Much of my information comes from pictures on ebay where the quality of pictures varies greatly, so not easy to accurately compare lens coatings. Hopefully the pictures on my site give some indication of the colours, the pre-AI links to Richard de Stoutz's collection are particularly good, although the quality of my other pictures is mixed ...

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 21:27:06 »
I have the last "non-Ai" version with the reddish hue coating. (I notched the aperture ring/Ai'd it myself)

I wonder if this lens is one with double coatings?

Dave

Roland Vink

• NG Member
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 21:42:44 »
Last non-AI is the K (New Nikkor) version, which will be fully multicoated. Coatings from this era are typically deep red, purple, blue and green.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 22:05:35 »
My mistake: I was thinking of the last version before the K types.

Dave

Roland Vink

• NG Member
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 23:00:39 »
That would be the C type (Nikkor-S.C), which is the first series with multicoating. As far as I know, the C and K types have the same coatings.

Before that is the Nikkor-S, with amber coloured coating on the front lens. This is typical of single-coated lenses (along with pale pink on the Nikkor-H 28/3.5 and Nikkor-Q 200/4, and light blue on the Nikkor-Q 135/3.5)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2016, 00:26:58 »
I have a couple of what Roland Vink shows as the third variant of the S, 1968-72.  One I bought new in 1970, and it's gotten pretty shabby with age, starting to seem a little soft.  The F2.0 AI, of which I have a couple, is so good I just sort of retired it, deciding not to bother to AI it, and kept it as a  big lens cap for extra F's, but not long ago I got a somewhat nicer one for the huge sum of $5.oo,  and just tried this one out with tripod, and it's surprisingly sharp.  I might have to start using it again since the D3200 doesn't care whether a lens is AI or not.   It seems a little easier to focus on my chintzy DX finder, and it sharpens right up at F4 and above.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:45 »
Coating information would be helpful. I just bought a new 35mm f/1.4 Ai-S with the new coating using the information on Roland's site. :o :o :o

guessing coating information can be tough as well because some people swap the elements without even indicating it when they sell it ::)