Author Topic: [UV] Rites of Spring: Tussilago  (Read 2139 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
[UV] Rites of Spring: Tussilago
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:11:57 »

[ Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:32 Modified and reposted by agreement ]

I'm still recovering from the last infection, but with tantalising high temperatures spring has exploded and the urge to join its chorus is irresistible. Can't stray far away from the car, though, but that hasn't prevented my photography earlier so no reason why my temporary disability should block exploration of new subjects appearing.

This time, my field UV kit is augmented by a "portable" studio flash (Broncolor Minicom 80, uncoated Xenon tube) and its auxiliary battery pack. The flash immensely alters my approach to UV photography in the field as there now is ample UV light present and this allows using alternate lenses. Perhaps new possibilities makes breaking out of the box easier, I'm not entirely convinced, but nonetheless, I had a nice day running my D40x on the annual challenge: getting new and if possible, improved, pictures of spring flowers such as the Colt's Foot (Tussilago farfara), which is the Herald of Spring over here in my part of the world.

First a picture showing the kit in the field situation, thereafter, one of today's images which came out "passably".

D40x, 18 mm f/4 Nikkor, Broncolor flash.

As the warm spring day draws to a close, the Tussilago arrives at its final destination. An empty coffee cup or vase holds the new promise of beter times to come.

(D40x, UV-Nikkor)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: [UV] Rites of Spring: Tussilago
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:12:52 »

Tussilago
is a species of heavy, clayey soils in the lowlands. So thrives on wasteland along roads, agricultural fields, and along rivers. Where ever the vegetation otherwise is kept open or low-growing, and it loves the sun so often grows most abundantly on south-facing slopes. It is native to Europe and Eurasia and widely distributed all the way from the Mediterranean to north of Norway, also occurs by introduction in a smaller range of eastern US.

Flies, honey bees, and butterflies are eagerly visiting the small flower heads of the Colt's Foot in spring time. Not many alternatives for their foraging so it is beneficial for the pollinators this species is so common in the region.

This is a honey bee visiting Tussilago in spring. Possibly the first UV photo I captured after I got my first UV-Nikkor back in '93-'94. Done on film (Fuji RTP 64) using SB-140 flash. Technology has advanced since that time, but the UV-Nikkors are going stronger than ever in the digital domain, and of course, the Rites of Spring repeat every year.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:14:00 »

It is appropriate to "close the circle" as it were with today's UV capture of a bumblebee on a Tussilago. D40x with the 105 UV-Nikkor and the Broncolor flash. Using the current system allows for easier close-ups than before.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 19:30:04 »
When you want a "wide" view in UV, most wide-angle lenses are insufficient because their UV transmission is poor. Using a tilt/shift adapter on a mirrorless camera might be an alternative approach for a Noflexar 35 mm f/3.5, which of course is not very wide on m43 format, but passes a lot of UV and focuses very close.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 22:57:30 »
boringly beautiful :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 23:08:08 »
I know. One has to love UV and that is just so hard ....

On the other hand, you do become true hard-core so there is always a brighter side of everything.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 23:12:56 »
really like #2 of the starting post... very nice.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman