Author Topic: Sigma 85mm ART lens review  (Read 4504 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Sigma 85mm ART lens review
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:26:51 »
thanks for the link Richard.

Mongo has the 35mm f1.4 Sigma ART and swears by the "Art" series. He much prefers his Sigma 35mm f1.4 to the Nikon equivalent and there are a few factors apart from sheer performance that come into play in that case; not the least of which is that it is less than half the price (and in Mongo's opinion, also outperforms the Nikon). It is not surprising that this new 85mm Sigma performs to the "ART" standard. It also seems that it very very closely performs as the Nikon does more so than with the Cannon.

However, as supportive as Mongo is of this Sigma series, he has to be objective. In the case of the 85mm Sigma, just on size/weight alone, Mongo would stick with the Nikon. The $400 difference is not significant enough to be a real consideration. If the lens were just sub $1000, it may come into play possibly with a lot of potential buyers.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:11:58 »
Thanks Mongo for your insights.  :o :o :o

yes, price difference is "negligible" to some extent.

I am yet to see if this lens renders a picture with "soul". let's just wait for some real world examples.

i have been leaning towards classic glass lately because the images that I make with them "shines" for the lack of a better term. it's like it was sprinkled with a bit of angel dust ::) I know it sounds stupid but I am sure you get what I am trying to say

Almass

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:58:17 »
Weight ??!?!??

I am a big fan of the 85mm focal and lately use the Nikon 85/1.8G while my 85/1.4G is taking a long nap and in spite of having half a dozen lenses of the same focal.

The reason to use the 85/1.8G is mainly because of the weight and rendering of the lens colors. This brings me to the weight of the Sigma 85A as it seems it is on the very heavy side with no official weight released yet.

What is even more funny, is the fact that all reviewers did not bother to weigh the lens while doing their tests. I guess Sigma did not allow them to do so.

To cut a long story short. If the Sigma 85A turns out to be a hog of a lens, I would not want to use for the same reason as the new Zeiss one.

I do enjoy my Sigma 50A though!

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:40:28 »
Hi,

using my Samyang 85 1.4 as Long as it Works. ;)

Harry
Some pictures on FLICKR

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:04 »
Hi,

using my Samyang 85 1.4 as Long as it Works. ;)

Harry

;D ;D that made me smile.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 14:06:03 »
Weight ??!?!??       1200 gr with hood and filter...  Will be studio option, for most. LZ

Almass

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 17:31:23 »
Weight ??!?!??       1200 gr with hood and filter...  Will be studio option, for most. LZ

Well, as long as it is not 1250 gr.

I have been informed that it comes with a free one year Gym membership  ;D

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 17:45:38 »
Especially if my 80-400 is 1500 gr with smaller hood... LZ

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 20:48:39 »
Weight ??!?!??

I am a big fan of the 85mm focal and lately use the Nikon 85/1.8G while my 85/1.4G is taking a long nap and in spite of having half a dozen lenses of the same focal.

The reason to use the 85/1.8G is mainly because of the weight and rendering of the lens colors. This brings me to the weight of the Sigma 85A as it seems it is on the very heavy side with no official weight released yet.

What is even more funny, is the fact that all reviewers did not bother to weigh the lens while doing their tests. I guess Sigma did not allow them to do so.

To cut a long story short. If the Sigma 85A turns out to be a hog of a lens, I would not want to use for the same reason as the new Zeiss one.

I do enjoy my Sigma 50A though!

A few years ago I rented the nikon  85 f1.4G for a shooting event, the image quality is great, the bokeh slightly better than the 85 f1.8G

But I did find the lens quite big

Then ... compare the already big 85 f1.4G to the sigma ... wow ! the sigma looks huge !

The lenses I use are more than sharp enough for portraits, there is enough post processing time when doing portraits where the objective is about removing imperfections that could not be hidden by the lightning technique ...

Sure I'll like to try the lens, but I doubt I would buy it
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 21:02:02 »
looks promising :o :o :o

It focuses with reverse rotation compared to Nikkor lenses. That doesn't both AF but I need manual focus I'm guarantied to turn the focus ring the wrong direction. I believe Contax is the reason for the Nikkor rotation as it is. My Pentax 6x7 lenses rotated the same way as my Nikkors. Something to note if one uses manual focus commonly or even occasionally.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 21:14:49 »
Does one REALLY want / need a sharper lens than the 85 f1.4? Not in studio - not me anyway. Not even nearly.
Doesnt mean I dont admire / appreciate the good qualities of the Sigma Art.
But it sure as peaches wont make me get better shots.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 21:18:39 »
Hi,

Nikon DF + Samyang 85 1.4 ~ 1.25 kilos. It May be not so sharp wide open but the Bokeh is nearly perfect. Elsa, the build quality is good, but it is not a Nikkor or Sigma. As Long asni do not Drop it... ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 21:39:03 »
Harald, you can always get a Zenit 85/1.5  8)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 22:05:09 »
Hi Jakov,

you mean this russian Monster? ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR