Author Topic: Tascam D 60..digital recorder/audio mixer  (Read 3583 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
Tascam D 60..digital recorder/audio mixer
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:10:47 »
Before I write a review anyone got one? Still waiting for all the cables to arrive ... I might need advice.
this is the unit...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-DR-60D-MK2-4-Channel-Portable-Digital-Recorder-for-DSLR-Cameras-DR60DMK2-/131959625851?hash=item1eb968187b:g:WnsAAOSw4shX83RV
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Tascam D 60..digital recorder/audio mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:29:59 »
Very interesting question. Also for me.

If this is really a TASCAM product, like the ones I know from my former occupation as a radio journalist, it should be a very rubust and well designed offer.

As I have no experience with the current offerings I await the answers in Awe
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:35:48 »
Actually you are the first to explore the new territory.   8)

I've never seen any review of audio recorder or anything related to video (other than the fluid heads) posted here in NG.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:41:11 »
I am interested, because a lot of my friends are musicians and need a decent recording for youtube sometimes.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:17:46 »
Well as I said waiting for the cables...

Its a clever device you mount it on the tripod head and then put the DSLR on top  so it all moves together. Microphones go into the unit and the output goes to the camera and is then returned to the unit to feed the headphones so you have confirmation the cables are good.

You can record to SD card as well as to  the camera or without the camera for your musician friends.
The Mk 1 version is the same and my be slightly cheaper ..the mk 2 is about US $ 200

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 21:25:09 »
If you need "high quality" music recording, be aware that the weak point in the budget recorders usually is, and always has been, the microphone preamps.  When very high musical reproduction quality is needed, external mic preamps will be employed, and fed at line level into the recorder.
The unit in reference may be of adequate quality for the intended purpose, however.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 21:35:31 »
So far as I'm aware, musicians (especially bands) are looking for all-in-one solutions like Zoom Q4n, Q8 and Sony HDR-MV1 for casual footages of their live performances on YouTube.  Otherwise, they would need dedicated recording system with multiple microphones, DI's, mixers, etc. along with multiple video cameras for serious promotion videos.

Q4n, Q8 or HDR-MV1 are handy and practical, but the combination of the sound and video quality of Sony and handling of Zoom would be more ideal.  Both Sony and Zoom automatically creates new files when they hit the 4GB file size limit.  Zoom creates new files with seamless transitions, whereas there are a couple of second of gap between files on Sony.  A single battery lasts much longer on Zooms.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 21:52:11 »
Some of you are being  very constructive and some have forgotten this is a $200 unit to go with a DSLR to improve the audio handling  and remove some of the deficiencies of a DSLR when used as a video recorder .....if you want to do real high quality video/audio you spend  $ 10,000  and you don't use a DSLR as a video camera .....

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 08:47:37 »
Review.

I mounted the unit on my fluid head with the  video camera on top .I use a Sanyo camera because I only record wedding services and the 20m on a DSLR would be too short .I use 720p to keep the files under 4 GB. Once recording starts  there is no adjustment for recording level on the camera (menu driven only) which is why I use the Tascam.

With a dslr you would mount the unit side to side but as I stand to the left I mounted the Tascam front to back with the display to the left so I can more easily read it . First job is to go into the menu and turn the display backlight to ON continuously  or its impossible to read. The two microphones (a shotgun and a radio mike for the groom) go into the XLRs. The MK 1 version had problems with the XLRs getting stuck in the socket and that's still the case ...I cut off the metal below the latch hole on the plug to defeat the latch.
The output  (CAM) goes to the Camera via a 3.5 mm  and then the headphone socket on the camera returns to the Tascam to feed the headphones via an amp.
With the extra amplification of the Tascam I can now hear the audio the cameras headphone output being a bit weak. Sound in the headphones confirms audio is getting to the camera. With a dslr you would have the audio levels displayed on the rear LCD so adjustment would be simple via the Tascam.
I am pleased with the unit (now I got the backlight ON ) it solves my problem, reasonable price and looks professional. I also have the option to make an audio recording to the internal SD as a backup.
You can see the specs and pictures here..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-DR-60D-MK2-4-Channel-Portable-Digital-Recorder-for-DSLR-Cameras-DR60DMK2-/131959625851?hash=item1eb968187b:g:WnsAAOSw4shX83RV