Author Topic: Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 AI ED (not the IF version) vs Nikkkor 300mm f/4 ED AF  (Read 7405 times)

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
I know that the 300mm f/4.5 AI ED (not the IF version) is very hard to find whereas the 300mm f/4 ED AF (original D version, not the AF-S one) is not.  Other than the slow AF of the f/4 lens, how do they compare?  Image quality?

thanks!

Art

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
The 300/4.5 ED non IF is highly regarded for excellent image quality.  It outperforms (except for handling) the successor 300/4.5 ED-IF, in the same manner the 800/8 ED non-IF runs circles around the 800/8 ED-IF.

Hardly ever used the 300/4 ED-IF AF so cannot tell much of any difference that might exist.

bjornthun

The original AF 300/4 ED IF only existed in a non-D version, until it was superseded by the AF-S 300/4D ED IF. The AF 300/4 ED IF suffers from quite a bit of longitudinal CA, that will require cleaning up in post, to the extent that is possible.

michel

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
According to Jean-Marie Sépulchre using DXO analyzer, the AF is far better than the IF.

From worse to best

AI ED IF then AF then AF-S and then AI ED

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
I  had both and liked, despite the extra weight, the AF 300/4 more. Also less CA than the 300/4,5 ED.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
I'm using actual images and evaluate these. DXO makes numbers.

The ED-IF (AIS) needs proper post processing, but then shows up as being very good. It is also a good match for extension to give a very long working distance for close-ups. On a camera such as D500, the 300 ED-IF performs especially well.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
I have been using the 300/4.5 AIS ED IF for quite some time now.
If you can live without AF and VR, there is nothing wrong with the lens. And you will NOT find a lens with a smoother focus ring :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I briefly compared my 300/4.5 ED AI against a 300/4 AF-D and the ED was sharper across the frame wide open.  Also compared it to a 300/4 AFS and did not like the AFS wide open at all . . . but it could be copy variation because the copy I tried was used and others report loving this lens.

The 300/4.5 ED non-IF stands up incredibly well to my D800 and A7RII and is my go-to compact telephoto that fits nicely in my lumbar pack.

I really want to try it against the 300/4 PF one of these days as the PF is really compact.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
thanks for all of the reply's!

i guess I'll have to keep looking for a 300mm f/4.5 ED AI to go along with my 400mm f/5.6 AI (that's really an ED lens without the gold band)

Art

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I've had two different copies of the AF-S 300/4, and it does have strange image qualities wide open.  Sometimes it's fine, but other times it isn't.  I don't use it enough to analyze why.  My copy of the 300/4.5 ED-IF was good on my old D3, with correctable lateral CA.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
I know that the 300mm f/4.5 AI ED (not the IF version) is very hard to find whereas the 300mm f/4 ED AF (original D version, not the AF-S one) is not.  Other than the slow AF of the f/4 lens, how do they compare?  Image quality?

thanks!

Art

I can't speak to any of the 300mm f/4.5's, but I have no complaints about the optical performance of the non-D 300mm f/4.  On "prosumer" cameras such as the F100 and D800, autofocus speed is "meh."  The minimum focus distance and maximum reproduction ratio (2.5 meters/1:7) is in between the non IF 300mm f/4.5 ED (4 meters/1:10) and the AF-S models (1.4 meters/1:4).

Another downside to the 300mm f/4 is the filter situation.  The 39mm drop-ins are long since discontinued; I've seen the 39mm polarizer sell for around $200.  Even the filter holder can be hard to find; used copies sometimes just come with the gelatin holder.  The alternative is to use 82mm filters or a square system.  This lens was sold with a "sock" instead of a lens cap.  I use a Tamron cap on mine, but if you're willing to shell out $25 you can now get a genuine Nikon cap.  (I'll pass).  The manual focus feel of the 300mm f/4 is exactly what you'd expect from an AF Nikkor of this era.  Again, meh.

On occasion, I've used a Kenko DG 1.4x teleconverter with mine; that same teleconverter would work with the 300mm f/4.5.  But these days, I'm more likely to use my Sigma 150-500mm to go beyond 300mm.

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
I briefly compared my 300/4.5 ED AI against a 300/4 AF-D and the ED was sharper across the frame wide open.  Also compared it to a 300/4 AFS and did not like the AFS wide open at all . . .

It is getting very confusing when you call the non-D-lens for AF-D. The only 300mm/4 D is the AF-S.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
It is getting very confusing when you call the non-D-lens for AF-D. The only 300mm/4 D is the AF-S.
]

Sorry - it LOOKs like a D lens since it has CPU contacts.  The 300/4D AF-S has been referred to as the AFS version.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
A lot of lenses have CPU contacts without being "D". There is no direct relationship involved here.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
The AF 300mm IF-ED f/4 was not D,,, ::)
Erik Lund