Author Topic: Summicron R 50/2 in Nikon mount  (Read 14789 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Summicron R 50/2 in Nikon mount
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 09:10:38 »
Acquisition is scheduled for tomorrow (bank account back to > 0), but thanks anyway.
"No way back"? there will be lots of back-and-forths as usual. I keep oscillating between the latest Zeiss 50/2 and the old Nikkor 50/2, being equally satisfied by both, for very different reasons. So far the Nikkor ergonomics are best: full stop aperture clicks for instance are best for "instinctive" shooting, never looking at the aperture scale. This is where the summicron lacks: half stops (too soft by the way), narrow scale, reversed compared with nikkors, and worst of all - the max aperture click is not at the end of the throw, you may turn the ring past it (with no effect of course on aperture). I anticipate this to be the biggest issue, especially since I'll have to open the diaph for focussing and close it again. But that's probably the only one, and since I intend to use the lens mainly at f/2-f/4, a zone where stopped-down focussing remains acceptable, I'll take the risk. I have used the PC 35/2.8 this way, and still enjoyed it.

Sunday will be my first stay ever in Madrid, and I guess the 50/2 will make the trip and see extensive usage, night and day.
Airy Magnien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 10:32:20 »
Have a great trip. 

I loved Madrid and its friendly people.

Will be interested to see how the Nikkor 50mm/f2.0 compares with the Summicron in your capable hands.

Sunday will be my first stay ever in Madrid, and I guess the 50/2 will make the trip and see extensive usage, night and day.
Hugh Gunn

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:49 »
I guess I'll take both. Unfortunately it is a biz trip, which reduces the shooting latitude.
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 11:12:49 »
Despite the biz-trip, have fun there ;)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2016, 20:52:21 »
There it is, in my bag.

First impressions :
Pro - sharp wide open (even off center) at all distances, low CA, decent vignetting, near-zero distortion
Average - Bokeh is not bad, but can be nervous.
Con- color shift (cold at f/2, warm at f/8) that nmight be linked with the stopped down metering procedure (see below), some distinct coma, field curvature in a distance (about 10m : focus plane corners bent towards photographer), not very convenient aperture ring; some flare and ghosting when the sun is near a corner. MFD could easily have been shorter.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 22:51:27 »
Here an example of the changing WB (so were the weather conditions, but I do not think they are the culprit here). Shot at f/2 and f/8.
Airy Magnien

Almass

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 13:12:34 »
Here an example of the changing WB (so were the weather conditions, but I do not think they are the culprit here). Shot at f/2 and f/8.

Could you please advise what where the camera settings for each shot?
ISO (auto?) - shutter speed and aperture?
I assume you had the lens flagged in the camera Non CPU lens data?

I just took few shots with the Cron 50/2 at f2 and f8 with Aperture Priority and other shots with full manual. I cannot see any difference besides that the images are darker at f8.

BTW, the focus ring should not be stiff.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 13:43:33 »
Congratulations on the new lens ;)

I'm sure there is an explanation for the changed WB and it's not due to the lens.
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 14:37:44 »
Almass, when I say "stiff" it means "Zeiss 50MP-like". Nothing really abnormal, but I have no other Leica R to compare with.

I checked the outcome of autoWB: 1st one 4642K and +1.077 tint offset (in rawtherapee); 2nd one 4922K and 1.027.
I guess AutoWB reacts to the +/- vignetted image, since exposure is set after stopping down on my Df. In such case, WB cannot be identical. But you and Erik are probably right in saying that the lens is NOT the culprit
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 22:08:20 »
To put your own mind at ease, try repeating the aperture/color comparison in a controlled situation.
The vagaries of sun, clouds, and subject can affect the apparent white balance, in my experience.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 22:19:16 »
Right, but I drew the (wrong) conclusion from several (apparently) correct observations. I'll sure check again with auto ISO on or off.
Airy Magnien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 10:26:35 »
Please just go and shoot son images and have fun! ;)

It's futile to hunt a non existing WB aperture dependency  :o
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 12:47:21 »
That's what I am doing anyway :)
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 20:17:30 »
As you may know from another thread, I am out for several days with the Df + Summicron and NOTHING else. Not even a pola filter. Not even the indispensable 105/2.5. Nothing, really.

So far I am pleased to report that
1) doubly manual operation (focus, then diaphragm closure) is a sweet pain in the neck
2) the Summicron tends to fool the auto white balance - I saw another user stating this on a Lecaist forum, by the way
3) that being said, the colour rendition is really excellent. Definitely an autumn lens.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 20:18:30 »
a few examples from Fulda (deep into Germany)
Airy Magnien