Author Topic: Cameras: Coming Full Circle  (Read 35780 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Cameras: Coming Full Circle
« on: September 25, 2016, 13:06:55 »
Because Canon and Nikon have been unable to lead, this has opened the door to a number of other companies, most notably Sony. In shotgun fashion, I have blindly tried to follow these new leaders, but so far have been disappointed. This includes purchasing, aside from a spate of mirrorless duds, the Sony A7rII, Sony A7s, the Pentax K3 and K1, and I am about to try the Hasselblad X1D.

In similar fashion, I have spun off into more technical cameras, including (aside from the Nikon bellows), the Rollei X-Act 2, the Novoflex CASTBAL and BALPRO, and the Cambo Actus. This is not to mention the slew of supporting lenses that I bought. Of the above, only the Cambo Actus has made the cut; the rest have been sold, are being sold, or will be sold.

As for the concept of Nikon taking me from cradle to the grave, well, that has gone out the window. I clearly feel marooned, isolated, and on my own recognizance. Anyone else feel this way?

I have become basically a tester. I can’t afford the expense (and also lack the interest) to keep buying every new camera that hits the streets, and there will be more and more of them as we turn toward the medium-format type of high-end gear. I was disappointed with the Pentax K1, Sony A7s, and Sony A7rII, generally, and for very specific reasons which I won’t go into here. The Nikon D810 remains the finest camera I have ever used to date.

The appeal of the new Hasselblad X1D, if it lives up to its claims, is very much as a refuge from the proliferation of new offerings and the expense of time each of them would entail. The X1D suggests a one-stop-shop, a camera that has it all or at least does enough FOR me that I can embrace it and return to the comfort of feeling that I have a complete system – a brand that I can count on.

My life, already technical enough, has become technically even more demanding in recent years. I yearn for yesteryear and to just put the gear on autopilot and enjoy taking photos for a while, perhaps for a long while. Enough already of shooting in the dark, figuratively speaking.

This is why the Hasselblad X1D promises to be (and possibly could be) a shelter from the storm of technology and a turning away from the plethora of beckoning options to the relative comfort of having a camera, a few lenses, and a system that for all practical purposes does it all, or at least does enough to let me rest in the experience of taking photos once again. Or is this allure of endless technology a modern replacement?

I have loved my walk on the technical edge these last many years, but it threatens to be all that I do, with the beauty of photography running a distant second. I am sure this will all get sorted out, but I for one yearn for a simpler solution, if it can be found. Instead of looking back to when I had “enough,” whatever that was, do I dare look forward to a time when I will again have what I need in new equipment (and lenses) to turn back to mainly taking photos? I hope so.

P.S. I still have my Nikon D810 and too many lenses, so I can tinker with that. Meanwhile, I would like to learn landscape and people photography and the X1D should be able to help me do that.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Cameras: Coming Full Circle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 14:07:59 »
By saying "The Nikon D810 remains the finest camera I have ever used to date." aren't you contradicting your initial claim "Canon and Nikon have been unable to lead?"

Why not just use the D810 and make images? I don't see why one would always have to be looking for something more, or better. The essential ingredient is what the photographer brings to the table. The equipment can easily become a distraction, if you let it.

Sometimes traveling can help bring perspective and new ideas to one's life and photography as well.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 14:49:32 »
By saying "The Nikon D810 remains the finest camera I have ever used to date." aren't you contradicting your initial claim "Canon and Nikon have been unable to lead?"

Why not just use the D810 and make images? I don't see why one would always have to be looking for something more, or better. The essential ingredient is what the photographer brings to the table, not the gear. The equipment is just a distraction, if you let it be that.

As mentioned, I do use the D810, and it is not that I (being here the "one" you mentioned) "would always have to be looking for something more, or better," but I find that (just now) for the work I am doing I need a larger sensor, at least 50 Mpx and preferably something larger for what I want to do. I also can't agree that the "equipment is just a distraction," either. Equipment seems to progress along with time, and sadly Nikon (IMO) has so far lost an opportunity to provide me what I need in a timely manner. At the same time, it seems that we are at a crossroads, with many branches opening up... and as the Poet Robert Frost wrote "And sorry I could not travel both." With the expanding universe of cameras just now, as mentioned, I lack the money and time to take all roads. Intuitively, I feel that the era of CaNikon is coming to a close, unless they manage to do something sometime soon.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 19:39:57 »
If you want Nikon or others to implement specific features, you can write them a letter (or e-mail; e.g. contact the local NPS rep) and explain what you want to do and how you think the camera could help you do it in a better and easier way. I find it surprising but almost all my complaints about the early digital Nikons have been addressed. And so I'm very happy being a Nikon DSLR user, whereas 10-20 years ago I had dozens of large and small problems. Now I'm able to do what I have wanted to do with photography even in the most difficult conditions.

From what I have understood, Nikon and others are affected by sensor factory earthquake damage and they have difficulty supplying products to the market. Introducing new products that make use of Sony sensors may not be sensible since it would increase demand but not increase sales since they cannot make the products in volume. Thus I believe Nikon's product announcements using large sensors are largely on hold until the situation on the sensor supply side is cleared. Sony of course also have the same problem. Both DSLR and mirrorless sales are heavily down this year and by a comparable percentage which is compatible with the idea that manufacturing is limiting product availability, or at least thid has been a factor.

Nikon's DSLR lineup were designed more for certain applications than others and you may be working in an area which is not in Nikon's focus. In time there will be products that work well and answer your needs, I am sure. However, it is quite normal that technical photography subjects and pushing image quality limits requires a bit of a do it yourself approach. While Nikon implemented nice features such as dual area live view with zooming, Nikon's focus is still more on the side of sports, wildlife, events, portraits than on technical subjects, although they occasionally put out some products such as the PC-E Nikkors. However, I understand that you're extremely demanding on image quality and especially chromatic aberrations, and Nikon in my experience is more into making lenses that produce a pleasant rendering of the subject rather than a perfectly aberration free image. They did make a near-apochromatic 105/1.4 which I find to be a very nice lens but it doesn't focus particularly close so it
might not be what you're looking for. Still it is an example of a lens where Nikon made a more technically correct image than is usual for them.

I think in your type of photography, some degree of always having to hack together something new that is not available in off the shelf components may be expected. I don't think that is going to change. This is partly because you want to push boundaries of what is possible and that kind of approach by definition means that it's not yet available as a product.

Personally I only am demanding in one area which is of particular interest to me and is not easy on the equipment. I want to do wide aperture photos of people at events, of action etc. This is an area where Nikon has made significant progress in the past ten to fifteen years or so, and with the D5 the out of focus percentages are in the single digits even at f/1.4 in dim light (f/1.4, ISO 6400, 1/500s) with much of the light coming from behind the subjects in an 800 year old church. This same situation causes big problems for the D810 AF, and I'm lucky to get even one good shot with it of a procession in the center corridor. I am therefore not at all understanding why people would say that Nikon isn't innovating or making progress.  :o Perhaps it is that they're just making progress in an area which is of a particular interest to me, but obviously not for everyone.

Also I find the video of the D5 to be surprisingly well thought out and good looking. There is no usable AF tracking during video, an area where Canon seems to have made an excellent solution but I am planning of doing my videos with manual focus and a large screen (Manfrotto Digital Director and iPad). This is an area which is new to me but for many years I've been waiting for the time to be right that practical solutions are available. I am sure Nikon will sort the AF out. I tried the Manfrotto product out briefly and it seems to be what I'm looking for. I cannot use an EVF as I get a feeling of nausea in a short time and prefer to use either an OVF or an LCD screen. However many seem to want an EVF. I can understand why but it just isn't something I'm happy to use. Perhaps my brain just isn't wired compatible.

I hope you find solutions to whatever you are working on. Sometimes doing things that are new is a struggle. Otherwise those things probably wouldn't be new.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 20:34:53 »
Michael, whatever you are searching for, you will most likely not find it. Because perfection is a rare commodity.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 21:46:46 »
Maybe Nikon and Canon are not leaving much room in the conventional dSLR market so the others are looking for a spot elsewhere.

I get the feeling you may be looking for a silver bullet when you may have many of those among your Nikon-F mount lenses.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 22:13:25 »
X1D uses the lens shutter.  It could be tricky to use it with the large format lenses with the mechanical lens shutter, even if I would believe you would find the way and master it.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 22:16:54 »
Balancing technicality, art and fun can be extremely difficult to do when you have high standards.  I have lost control of things when I couldn't maintain a balance, so I know all too well.  Best wishes Michael!
-Tristin

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 23:23:34 »
X1D uses the lens shutter.  It could be tricky to use it with the large format lenses with the mechanical lens shutter, even if I would believe you would find the way and master it.

You can buy the modern LF-lenses in electronic shutters as well as in old fashioned shutters.

With electronic shutter you buy into a system and I am not sure that Michael want to travel that path.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 00:51:12 »
I'm afraid I am being misread. I continue to use the Nikon D810 because it is a great camera and I have a ton of lenses to fit it. However, since Nikon has yet to offer a better camera, I would like to try the Hasselblad X1D, which I see as a closed system on which I would not try to mount any other lenses than Hasselblad. And... although I might lose some money, I will keep that X1D until there is a camera that will take my F-Mount lenses and has a large sensor with large photosites, at which time I may sell the X1D and get that camera. On the other hand, I may really love the Hasselblad system. Who knows?

I need to be doing something "larger" NOW, not sometime down the road.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:21 »
Canon's 5DS and 5DS R cameras are 51 MPx and can accept F-Mount lenses via adapters.  A less expensive option than a full system acquisition for the 50 MPxHasselblad X1D?
Hugh Gunn

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:21 »
Canon's 5DS and 5DS R cameras are 51 MPx and can accept F-Mount lenses via adapters.  A less expensive option than a full system acquisition for the 50 MPxHasselblad X1D?

I am interested in the X1D... to see what it is like. I can return it if it is a dud.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 06:57:18 »
You can mount the X1D or the GFX to your Cambo Actus and make use of the huge image circle of some of your lenses...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:40 »
You can mount the X1D or the GFX to your Cambo Actus and make use of the huge image circle of some of your lenses...

I don't think that is possible Frank. The X1D requires the shutter to be in the lens, not the camera body. My feeling, spoken to myself, is that I have to stop trying to make any one camera do everything and be satisfied if it does some things well.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:08 »
I don't think that is possible Frank. The X1D requires the shutter to be in the lens, not the camera body. My feeling, spoken to myself, is that I have to stop trying to make any one camera do everything and be satisfied if it does some things well.

You have your large format lenses in Copal 0?

So you have a shutter.

Additionally I hear the X1D features an electronic shutter, the GFX features a focal plane shutter, so: Where is the trouble?