Author Topic: Fuji GF-X M&M announced today  (Read 19108 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Fuji GF-X M&M announced today
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 18:50:34 »
An interview to Fuji rep posted on dpreview.com.  Fuji confirmed that the sensor is NOT of the X-trans type.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/7988407692/interview-fujifilm-explains-the-gfx-50s-medium-format-mirrorless
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 22:31:20 »
Curiously, we now have two mirrorless camera systems with sensors larger than FX (whether you call it "medium format" or not).

We also have many mirrorless camera systems with smaller than FX format, using 1", m4/3 and DX size sensors.

Yet the mirrorless FX/35mm segment is empty apart from Sony; I suppose you can also include Leica rangefinders. It is strange this format is unpopular with manufacturers.

bjornthun

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 23:32:02 »
Curiously, we now have two mirrorless camera systems with sensors larger than FX (whether you call it "medium format" or not).

We also have many mirrorless camera systems with smaller than FX format, using 1", m4/3 and DX size sensors.

Yet the mirrorless FX/35mm segment is empty apart from Sony; I suppose you can also include Leica rangefinders. It is strange this format is unpopular with manufacturers.
There is also the Leica SL system with a 24x36mm sensor.

bjornthun

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 23:33:09 »
Hasselblad say they have in ten days sold as many X1D as they had expected to sell in a year!

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 14:54:32 »
Bjorn, since the firmware is apparently not ready for prime time it will be interesting to see when an actual client gets one in hand.

bjornthun

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 17:46:23 »
Bjorn, since the firmware is apparently not ready for prime time it will be interesting to see when an actual client gets one in hand.
Also it will be interesting to see what they think about the new lenses for the X1D.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 18:14:23 »

I suspect Canon/Nikon are waiting to introduce a FF mirroreless because they have a lot to lose if they screw it up, whereas Sony does not.

Personally I'm waiting rather impatiently for Nikon to make a FF mirrorless, in whatever mount.  In the mean time my $$ have gone to Sony, despite the immaturity of their bodies, rather than Nikon.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 21:30:23 »
I suspect Canon/Nikon are waiting to introduce a FF mirroreless because they have a lot to lose if they screw it up, whereas Sony does not.
This is my thinking as well...always has been.  Sony is the beta tester for Nikon/Canon.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

bjornthun

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2016, 02:49:34 »
I don't think Sony is a "beta tester" for anyone but themselves, in any sense of the word. The user interfaces of the various brands are too different for that. Canon's beta version is called EOS M5. Canon doesn't even use Sony sensors... Nikon should rather be looking at Fujifilm than at Sony, as Fujifilm more closely represents and emulates Nikon's original core values w.r.t. user experience.

Each manufacturer has to find their own path to mirrorless or be left behind.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:19 »
I think that it is more a case of Nikon and Canon waiting to see how many arrows the pioneers get in the back.  In the meantime the Canon M and Nikon 1 scouts can be deployed without too much damage being done to the main game which is to milk a well established and proven technology base in terms of the DSLR and its now highly refined mirror boxes.  When the trail looks less dangerous, they will then do away with the mirror boxes and start their mirrorless wagons rolling - maybe in time for the D6 or the D7?.

This is my thinking as well...always has been.  Sony is the beta tester for Nikon/Canon.
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2016, 13:31:32 »
Well, Canon isn't really waiting for anything, they have EOS M, M2, M3 and now M5. In my opinion FX is fine as an expensive high end format but for most, APS-C is perfect in terms of quality, versatility, and reasonable size of the whole kit. Canon finally put their dual pixel AF into the M5, I would expect it to sell like hot cakes.

Nikon chose a smaller format (CX) and may make DX or FX in the future. But they all are active in finding new markets. Fuji probably chose a larger than FX format in order to avoid direct competition with Sony, Nikon and Canon and to differentiate their lineups more; FX and DX are not that far from each other. Their small medium format and DX definitely are different in sensor size.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2016, 13:52:05 »
Apparently Canon is more into cine/video domain for their EF mount lineup, which are mirrorless anyway.

When Nikon introduced Nikon 1, I thought the 1" sensor would be rather suitable for the still/video hybrid cameras than any larger format.  Incidentally or not, the 1" sensor is almost the same size as the 16mm cine format.  As it turned out, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Canon are making 1" sensor cameras.  That said, my wild hunch tells that Nikon is going to obsolete the Nikon 1 series and move to the fixed lens models.

Fuji rep said that the 135 format was too close to APS-C, so they decided to jump up to the MF.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 19:16:11 »
Sony is the beta tester for Nikon/Canon.

Clarification for better accuracy:  I hope that Nikon is watching and learning from what all the higher-end mirrorless manufacturers are doing, and, in effect,  allowing companies like Sony and Fuji to be unwitting beta testers.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2016, 22:22:37 »
Guess who can celebrate 100 years anniversary in 2017,,, Guess what is high on the to do list,,, According to several representatives present at Photokina,,,

Yes they are watching the first movers and all the flack they are receiving,,, They want to be absolutely sure they get it right the first time around!
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2016, 07:37:49 »
Guess who can celebrate 100 years anniversary in 2017,,, Guess what is high on the to do list,,, According to several representatives present at Photokina,,,

Yes they are watching the first movers and all the flack they are receiving,,, They want to be absolutely sure they get it right the first time around!
Shhhh...don't tell anyone!