Author Topic: Self standing monopods  (Read 5038 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Self standing monopods
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:14 »
when I was in hospital recently I spend quite a bit of time surfing on my Smartphone.  I came across an image posted by one of our members of a reasonably large lens on a free standing monopod at the beach (they were shooting Kite surfers) .  It seemed a very robust set up.  I had never seen that monopod and now I cannot find the post anywhere. I also shoot at the beach but the 'feet' on the monopod seemed heavy duty and perfect for sand.  First, can anyone point me to the post or conversely, give me some recommendations.

I would also use a sturdy self standing monopod for the way I shoot soccer .
Cheers,
Tom
Edit:  Sorry all, found the image by MFloyd under "Bad Luck".   Anyone know of one which would handle the 500vr?
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Almass

Re: Self standing monopods
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:58:06 »
when I was in hospital recently I spend quite a bit of time surfing on my Smartphone.  I came across an image posted by one of our members of a reasonably large lens on a free standing monopod at the beach (they were shooting Kite surfers) .  It seemed a very robust set up.  I had never seen that monopod and now I cannot find the post anywhere. I also shoot at the beach but the 'feet' on the monopod seemed heavy duty and perfect for sand.  First, can anyone point me to the post or conversely, give me some recommendations.

I would also use a sturdy self standing monopod for the way I shoot soccer .
Cheers,
Tom
Edit:  Sorry all, found the image by MFloyd under "Bad Luck".   Anyone know of one which would handle the 500vr?

I use this one.....but not and never on the beach.....and never left free standing.....keeps my insurance company happy.
You can mount it on any monopod. I also have another one with a swiveling thingy on the base but cannot remember the brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benro-VT2-Hydraulic-universal-3-leg-Base-for-Monopod-ST1-upgraded-version-/300853451683?hash=item460c435ba3:g:cOQAAOSwmrlUt0Ji

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 14:54:40 »
Hi Tommyjeep. The monopod is military equipment. It's normally used to bear Vectronix (former Wild Leitz) tele/gonio meters. It amagnetic.  It's very expensive. It uses a Manfrotto type interface.

http://www.eurooptic.com/vectronix-sst3-3-mini-tripod-and-monopod-non-magnetic-telescopic-pan-tilt-head-extendable.aspx

The tri-monopod is excellent, the pan tilt head is not outstanding; at least to bear a pro monobody camera and a super telelens. I'm using it to just bear the equipment between two shots; during the shoots, I disengage the monopod so that it can move freely in its cage into the tripod.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 05:23:02 »
Thanks guys,
Almass , agree with dangers of leaving unattended tripod/monopod.  Freak accident , while shooting a soccer match,  meant my D700 had to go to Nikon.  The 300 2.8vr was fine  :)
MF, many thanks.  Seems the sst3 is available in the UK without a head for a couple of $100 less.  I've never shot at the Beach for pay and not shooting soccer for pay since the new Pro League was formed.  So... probably a luxury  :(  I guess I will continue to use tripod assisted by younger folk for carrying.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 20:33:03 »
Not pushing, but doesn't monopod mean 1 leg, and tripod 3 legs?

The exemples given are all of tripods...
There are, not really self standing, monopods from RRS, that can be attached to fixed structures given the space freedom of a monopod and the security of a tripod.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 21:04:22 »
I can see the virtue of a monopod that allows you to relax your attention some, such as the old Miida or some more recent Manfrottos, which have small horizontal legs on which you can put your foot.  The Miida works moderately well at table level for a normal sized rig, but at full extension you'd not want anything big on top without holding on.  However, if you put your foot on the leg, it does allow some freedom, as it won't just fall over when you let go.

Here's an old photo.net posting that includes a picture of mine, along with a picture of one of the more ingenious little rigs, the old Linhof clamp.  That latter is a bit bulky for light travel, and I recently got a smaller version from Promaster that has a clamp but opens up into a table tripod.  That works pretty well too, and packs very small.  The Linhof is interestingly made, and very versatile, but does not pack terribly well as it does not fold flat unless you disassemble it.

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00antm

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 21:21:21 »
A monopod reduces bounce, pitch and roll but not yaw. The benro VT2 could reduce yaw. It's seems like it might be useful. I don't think "self standing" really applies here. It might be good for casual video besides still photography.

Dave The Trapper of Rats

A about 4:45 AM I got a desperate call from a semi quadriplegic friend. She owns an older house and has trees and vines that allow critters on the roof... sigh
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 22:21:54 »
The Vectronix is a "mono-tripod" .... not joking: the monopod part can be detached from the tripod in seconds and replaced back (I might take some pictures). I'm using quite often monopods because they don't take much place; and as I have, from time to time, to operate within a crowd, these are much more socially acceptable than tripods.

If I have to follow quick subjects (e.g. planes, cars) I always unblock the collar so that it can freely move to maintain level. For photography of planes, in most cases I use the monopod to rest the equipment; when photographing, most of the time the monopod is not even on the ground.

I'm not using a (small) tripod on a classical monopod; but it might be useful to free your hands for doing something else, during a short while. This doesn't mean that you should leave the whole setup unattended. Personally, as a safeguard, I keep always a strap around my neck while handling a camera with a monopod.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 12:16:45 »
Sirui Monopod by Daniel Han, on Flickr

I use a Sirui Monopod, really good for my needs :)
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 14:02:41 »
I'm not using a (small) tripod on a classical monopod; but it might be useful to free your hands for doing something else, during a short while. This doesn't mean that you should leave the whole setup unattended. Personally, as a safeguard, I keep always a strap around my neck while handling a camera with a monopod.

I have an old Manfrotto 682B which has a detachable foot, which in turn holds three thin metal rods that can be extended outwards as a foot to support the monopod as a standalone platform
Not the most stable construction around, a bit wobbly (to put it mildly), I wouldn't trust it to stand unattended with a body and big lens (e.g. 2.8/70-200)

But as mentioned it's handy in case you want to have your hands free for a very short moment
I e.g. at times shoot catwalk with one body and a 70-200 on this monopod, and another body with a short zoom hanging from my shoulder. In case I want to switch to the body with the short lens, I can leave the other one standing without having to try and keep it upright.

But I also have use an extra strap around my neck for the body on the monopod, despite the foot.