Author Topic: Slovenia, Vintgar gorges  (Read 1156 times)

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Slovenia, Vintgar gorges
« on: September 17, 2016, 21:12:37 »
This place near Bled lake is extremely crowded and not enjoyable at all after 9AM when the busses loaded with tourist arrive. Before, it is a lovely walk, with plenty of beautiful sights. Fortunately, our tenant warned is and we actually arrived before the theoretical opening hour, and the lady at the entrance was nice enough to let us in.
All shot with X-T1, mostly with the 18-55mm kit lens and a polarizer used as the poor man's ND filter (and a tripod!).

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Slovenia, Vintgar gorges
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 21:17:17 »
Nice Olivier.

First one, classic composition, very nicely done, also the "moving" water. Even though the river now has some burnt highlights, like there are lights underwater.

I don't care too much for the fourth one.
Hans Cremers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 21:19:07 »
These are cool images that bring pleasant breeze to my humid room!

The last image looks peculiar and intriguing.  What do these piled-up stones mean?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 21:32:42 »
Hans, Akira, than you.
Yes, there are a few burnt highlights in the first one but it was shot in jpg only mode (the crappy "low" iso mode on X-T1 which doesn't allow for RAW, I discovered it that day!). There is no room for recovery unfortunately.
Akira, these rock piles can be found by hundreds at some accessible places on that river. My son built a few as he liked the challenge.
I think they are present in a few cultures, including the Himalayans, and are supposed to connect people to nature.
I oftent think of Antoine de Saint-Exupery when I see them: a rock pile ceases to be a rock pile when just one man contemplates it with, in him, the image of a cathedral (poor translation from French).

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 21:46:19 »
The water flow is best rendered by the third picture. The "eights" in particular are fine.

Same reaction as Akira concerning the fourth shot. There is something "Japanese" to it, maybe. I particularly like the delicate tones and relatively low contrast in the background.
Airy Magnien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 00:29:43 »
I have a soft spot for long exposures. Well done!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 00:43:54 »
Building cairns ('stone piles') is a favourite pastime of visitors at most alpine tourist attractions here in Norway. Not surprised to see the practice more widely distributed, though.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:54:40 »
Olivier and others, thanks for the explanation.  While I like the sheer composition of #4, I'm not sure if it works positively or negatively as motiv of landscape.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:29 »
these are beautiful and considered images. #1 is exquisite and natural in its capture of the surrounding atmosphere. The slow shutter for water movement was a nice additional touch.