Author Topic: classic camera shop (in HK)  (Read 3755 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: classic camera shop (in HK)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 19:37:40 »
enjoyable small talk

great collection!!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:17:13 »
guy's a philanthropist as well. amazing :o :o :o

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:08:27 »
delightful gentleman and probably a "living treasure" of photographic knowledge. Same there are not more like this shop and its proprietor. Mongo enjoyed visiting MAP Camera when last in Japan but it is a different atmosphere there to this video. Both have their need and appeal.

thanks for posting this Richard - it was a very enjoyable outing

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:40:51 »
delightful gentleman and probably a "living treasure" of photographic knowledge. Same there are not more like this shop and its proprietor. Mongo enjoyed visiting MAP Camera when last in Japan but it is a different atmosphere there to this video. Both have their need and appeal.

thanks for posting this Richard - it was a very enjoyable outing

from the looks of it, I think that this old gentleman charges a bit premium :o :o :o
he sure is knowledgeable, knowing a lot about obscure and unpopular brands.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 13:13:23 »
He has got some very nice gear there - seen a Canon 50mm 0.95, Nocti and lots of medium format.

He definitely charges a premium - but is knowledgeable - for example when I was looking for M42 to Nikon adapter, he pointed out why one was better than the other due to locking screw. There are always a few people hanging around too but very friendly atmosphere.

The prices seem fluid. I almost bought a Nikon Noct there - looked mint in box but the price seemed to increase because I was interested. Lots of Nikon AIs as are the other shops in Champagne court.

There are many other shops all over HKG - many with very rare lenses but not cheap at all. Most of theses are pretty reputable and not at all like the shops on the main shopping drags (Nathan Rd) who are notorious bait and switchers.

If any one needs any recommendations, let me know

JJ

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 02:24:11 »
He has got some very nice gear there - seen a Canon 50mm 0.95, Nocti and lots of medium format.

He definitely charges a premium - but is knowledgeable - for example when I was looking for M42 to Nikon adapter, he pointed out why one was better than the other due to locking screw. There are always a few people hanging around too but very friendly atmosphere.

The prices seem fluid. I almost bought a Nikon Noct there - looked mint in box but the price seemed to increase because I was interested. Lots of Nikon AIs as are the other shops in Champagne court.

There are many other shops all over HKG - many with very rare lenses but not cheap at all. Most of theses are pretty reputable and not at all like the shops on the main shopping drags (Nathan Rd) who are notorious bait and switchers.

If any one needs any recommendations, let me know

JJ

can you haggle there? looks like they are classy! not like the other shops where they will "pok gai" you and show you the door when you haggle hahaha :o :o :o

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 20:36:06 »
 8)
Amazing.
Thanks for sharing

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy