Author Topic: Democratic Republic of the Congo - gorillas  (Read 3177 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Democratic Republic of the Congo - gorillas
« on: June 25, 2015, 14:22:05 »
Trip to Rwanda - but for the gorillas We went across the border into the DRC  - as we couldnt get permits in Rwanda - booked out months in advance as the have a limit per day. The road trip into DRC up the mountain was the worst I have ever encountered in my life. New tyres lasts on average 3 months on these roads. Multiple broken down trucks everywhere you look. Roads washed away. And we were accompanied with 5 guards (there was 5 or 6 of us) with AK47 rifles. Very dangerous place to say the least.

Besides the worst vehicle trip of my life - I had the worst walk of my life - up a blooming mountain. Till today I dont know how I didnt have a second heart attack. It was bad. It was hot. It was bushy. It was a nightmare. And the Gorillas do not stand still in the forest - they move all the time - swinging all over the place,  so you have to negotiate the growth (3 - 4 foot high) with pangas so that you can move to follow them.

The locals also dont like their photos taken - we were threatened several times.
And the kids can beg in 11 languages before they can walk.

I had a female Gorilla brushed right past  me - the first one I saw - she waved me out of the way so she could pass. They are BIG!

Photography is difficult - light is few and dappled. If I didnt know how to push my settings and camera  - I would have come back with no shots.

At least I saw them - but you can also see them in a zoo. I want to see things you can not see in a zoo next time.

The airplane on the runway is stuck in LAVA from the last vulcano explosion.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

knb

• NG Supporter
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Democratic Republic of the Congo - gorillas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 14:52:28 »
This trip really seemed to be a struggle. I hope it was worth it, when at last meeting the gorillas. Even if you did not get the gorilla shots that you actually wanted, the one you show here is still really nice.

I also appreciate the other photos here, which seem to describe the situation in a very good way.
Kjetil Narum Bakken

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 15:11:26 »
Kjetil, I did get what I wanted form the gorillas - but a decent pic of a baby would have been great too.
Yes it was bad - had I known it was like this - I never would have done it. Having said that I am pleased I saw some part of the DRC. It was an experience you cant really explain to someone else. it is just too much to take in. A trip to the Gorillas via Uganda or Rwanda appears to be much better, if that is on anyone's bucket list. Oh and the visa and permit (for the gorillas) cost me $500 back then (2011) So goodness alone knows what it costs now.
You are allowed one hour with them, and if you spend 45 minutes "running" after them - so be it.

btw - see the road? that is the major road...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 17:23:48 »
Love the gorilla shot. I've never been to the DRC, thank you for the tour. Some friends of mine did go to the Congo on a dinosaur hunting expedition back in the 70's. It looks as if things have gotten worse.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 23:33:10 »
DRC is not safe. There are areas that are much better - I have a cousin living (I think its in the south or something) where there are big mining companies and they live well as he is an accountant on the mines. But more protected there of course. They don't want to leave as they love the country so much. Just shows you - its about ones experience.

Gary - so did your friends find any dinos???  ;D

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 00:48:24 »
DRC is not safe. There are areas that are much better - I have a cousin living (I think its in the south or something) where there are big mining companies and they live well as he is an accountant on the mines. But more protected there of course. They don't want to leave as they love the country so much. Just shows you - its about ones experience.

Gary - so did your friends find any dinos???  ;D

Yes, they're making movies from what they brought back.  ;D

It was a real expedition, with numerous scientists, journalists and film crews. They truly thought they had the real thing.

G

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:51 »
Wow! What a crazy trip. The world truly is a crazy place. Or rather, us humans truly are capable of making this a crazy place.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 20:42:55 »
Elsa, you are a brave woman!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 21:30:00 »
Thanks guys. Sometimes too brave for my own good..... or just plain stupid