Author Topic: upgrading to split prism for the Nikon Df  (Read 5897 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
upgrading to split prism for the Nikon Df
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:21:28 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

looks like this turned out to be pretty straight forward ::)

loving this setup now :o :o :o

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
Re: upgrading to split prism for the Nikon Df
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:29:08 »
Thanks Richard for sharing. It is the first clear explanation I see on the web on how to do it. I think what confused me compared to changing screens on Canon cameras is that Canons do not have a foam seal (and I am not very good at these mods anyway). Interesting also that you didn't have to trim the screen to make it fit.

OTOH, I had no idea you hated the Df.

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:57 »
OTOH, I had no idea you hated the Df.

thank you for finding it worthwhile.  :o :o :o

i do not hate it as much now that i have customised it to closely reflect how I wanted things to be. i will admit that I was really upset with it during launch because of the ridiculous price but since I got this for cheap, that has helped me reconcile with the Df ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 17:51:49 »
I didn't read every word,,, Just green dot - or,,, What about precise calibration, shims?
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 17:58:14 »
I didn't read every word,,, But,,, What about calibration, shims?

i have some materials here that I bought in preparation for that (styrene, acrylic). but it seems that it is OK as it is so i just left it alone, in fact I found that the screen is even more accurate than the focus confirmation dot itself :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 17:59:18 »
it was difficult with the NOCT but it was perfect with my new-Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 :o :o :o

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:24:39 »
Thanks Rick for the wonderful write up, and I would try this with my FE and FE2 screens, since I desire to MF my older Nikkors and surely this will help.

It is interesting that the ~1mm on each side, thus making the cradle missing the screen completely did not matter...  and yes you are right, perhaps the F6 screen would work better.

As to calibration, my thoughts are, from the manufacturing perspective, it would be foolish to change the thickness and calibration of the focusing screen between camera models, as that would entail resetting up the manufacturing process each time a screen is made for different camera.  So I do not expect there to be a need to calibrate as long as the screens are Nikon.  But that is only a conjecture...

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:29:56 »
you will find that sometimes focus will miss by a bit when not calibrated but it's not so bad usually. you are correct, it makes sense for nikon to set it to one common number or else everything will have to be re-calibrated all the time. if there is anything wrong it should not miss by a lot. :o :o :o

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 15:27:13 »
I tried but failed... FE2 and FE screens.  Maybe the shim's not in proper place so the focusing screen is off with the K screen, and with the K2 screen I could not get the bracket to hold the screen.  I am sure I had done something wrong, but given I can't swap in and out easily, I will have to leave it as it is, unless I get a second Df (Df2 maybe?) and set it up permanently for MF.