Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Lens repair: documenting my journey

(1/2) > >>

FGAng:
Under the kind tutelage of Rick Ho https://richardhaw.com/ (and his kind assistance to acquire junk Nikkors from Japan), I started working on disassembly (maintenance and hopefully repair) of old Nikkors (and Nikon Lens Series E lenses). 

I have been able to make some progress, and decided to document some of my journey in a blog.  Parts 1 to 3 are now up.

If you might be interested, please review and critique, and correct if I have erred...

https://diediemustdive.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys (and gals).

richardHaw:
nice site. I just read the first part but it looks promising :o :o :o

Erik Lund:
Thanks for posting, always helpful to see lenses inside ;)

Just a few comments;

This “stop” screw (located opposite the index mark) stops the lens from over shooting the mounted position and must never be removed!

Often on 'older' Ai lenses the rear light baffle is held in place by this 'stop screw' so if your chipping the lens it needs to come out ;) Just remember to reinstall it.

43-86mm f/3.5 has a very special position of the aperture leaf spring, never seen that version before,,,

richardHaw:
by the way, that "stop screw" is very delicate as well :o :o :o
i accidentally broke one on my 16-35VR and it was stuck to my then 2-day old D7200. that made me a sad man that weekend. yes, a grown mad can cry inside as well...

FGAng:

--- Quote from: Erik Lund on September 01, 2016, 10:47:17 ---Thanks for posting, always helpful to see lenses inside ;)

Just a few comments;

This “stop” screw (located opposite the index mark) stops the lens from over shooting the mounted position and must never be removed!

Often on 'older' Ai lenses the rear light baffle is held in place by this 'stop screw' so if your chipping the lens it needs to come out ;) Just remember to reinstall it.

43-86mm f/3.5 has a very special position of the aperture leaf spring, never seen that version before,,,

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the comment, and point taken.  I will add your comments to the post.

--- Quote from: richardHaw on September 01, 2016, 10:50:57 ---by the way, that "stop screw" is very delicate as well :o :o :o
i accidentally broke one on my 16-35VR and it was stuck to my then 2-day old D7200. that made me a sad man that weekend. yes, a grown mad can cry inside as well...

--- End quote ---

I heard a tail of someone with a missing stop screw having loads of problem getting the lens off the camera.  How did you get it off?  Knowing you Rick, you OCD (obsessive compulsive disassembler) you might have disassembled your D7200 to get to that lens... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version