Author Topic: The Arca-Swiss Cube C1 Geared Head  (Read 4235 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
The Arca-Swiss Cube C1 Geared Head
« on: August 24, 2016, 21:22:34 »
My favorite tripod-head is the Arca-Swiss Cube C1. Weird looking at first, but once I tried it, I never looked back. Fiddling with ball heads and their inevitable “slump” after tightening was terrible for doing still-life focus-stacking.

A geared head like the Arca-Swiss Cube is just so secure and easy-to-use once I got the hang of it. Also, a combination of extending the head and extending one of the rocker-panels allows me to do a full 90-degrees and still have a firm position.

The only caveat I have to add concerns the quick-release clamp, which of course is Arca-Swiss. Originally I purchased the Cube C1 with the quick-release (flip-lock) clamp, the one you snap open and shut. However, I quickly became less than a fan for this approach. It just is not secure enough IMO and there seems to me (right or wrong) that you could catch it on a shirt sleeve and pop it open. I know, there are security features (two-stage flip-lock), so just put my caution down to the feng-shui of tripod heads. It makes me nervous or “I don’t like it.” Period.

Eventually, I bought another copy of the Cube C1, one with an Arca-Swiss clamp with the traditional furled knob. This was a great improvement, however the knob is simply too small and takes too much hand-leverage to tighten and then, once tight, it can be hard to get your fingers to get a purchase on that little knob.

I finally had enough when, with aging fingers, I had to resort to a pair of pliers to get the damn knob to turn every once in a while. So, what I have now is a Cube C1, but with a RRS heavy Arca-Swiss clamp that has a large knob.

With some of the Cube C1s, you can remove the little bitty knob and replace it with the RRS clamp. I am told that in later versions of the Cube C1, the Arca-Swiss folks have messed with the design so you cannot remove their little bitty knob. This is not helpful at all. Anyway, if you get in the mood for this geared head, try to find one you can replace their weak knob with a robust one like that from RRS.

Photos in order:  Flip-lock, Small-Knob, RSS Knob
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: The Arca-Swiss Cube C1 Geared Head
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 21:37:26 »
Oh dear, what a number of buttons and sliders to deal with ... Must be perfect for studio work, but probably not worth the extra fiddling in the field where one needs rapid set ups.

Not every ball head has a creep once locked.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 22:29:17 »
Oh dear, what a number of buttons and sliders to deal with ... Must be perfect for studio work, but probably not worth the extra fiddling in the field where one needs rapid set ups.

In the summer time, I do very little in the studio. It is mostly outdoors and with the Cube C1. Some knobs, but no buttons, and it soon is second nature and the ball-head just is not as good. But, remember I am doing still-life, not movement. I don't think it deserves an "Oh dear," but just an "Oh" would do.

I don't have it for show, but for sheer accuracy and usefulness, there is nothing else I would consider.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 22:37:50 »
Here in Japan, the officially imported C1 is sold for around 350,000 JPY (around 3,400 USD according to the recent exchange rate) as opposed to 1,699 USD at B&H, which is simply ridiculous.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 00:41:46 »
It's really a fine piece of machinery, no doubt, but I prefer their ball heads.
Nevertheless is a helpfull tool for architecture photography.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 00:50:19 »
It's really a fine piece of machinery, no doubt, but I prefer their ball heads.
Nevertheless is a helpfull tool for architecture photography.

It is fine for any kind of still photography. Combine the Cube C1 with something like the Cambo Actus (any bellows unit) and you have a very powerful system by way of movements.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:29:45 »

Lloyd Chambers swears by it for field photography, albeit with some quibbles.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:09 »
that thing has been out for awhile. it is very useful for precise positioning :o :o :o

it is rather heavy as well...

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:08:07 »

Acceptably-sized Sachtlers, and other similar fluid heads, don't creep either once locked
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA