Author Topic: Wacom Alternatives  (Read 3814 times)

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
Wacom Alternatives
« on: August 18, 2016, 20:11:27 »
Hi,

while for my meager retouching the Bamboo is sufficient, for my graphics designer sister it is a bit smallish.
So I thought I'll get her a Wacom Intuos Pro M. While looking for it on Amazon, I found several other manufacturers. So why do I never hear of them? Is Wacom so much better?
Those guys are too stupid to even maintain websites that they reference (http://bamboodock.wacom.com/), so my confidence in Wacom is not that high...

cheers
afx

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Wacom Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:39:23 »
I use a Wacom Intuos Pro Medium tablet (PTH-651) for a couple of years now.  The equipment is relatively cheap and of very high quality. First price, here in Switzerland, is about €265.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 17:47:42 »
As far as I can tell Bamboo Dock was discontinued, which would explain why the site you linked to does not work. Perhaps you could take a look at their fully functional wacom.com website and find software that replaced it?

Wacom is industry standard for tablets, and while that is not reason alone to go with one brand or another, they do make quality products. 

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 23:55:15 »
As far as I can tell Bamboo Dock was discontinued, which would explain why the site you linked to does not work. Perhaps you could take a look at their fully functional wacom.com website and find software that replaced it?
the interesting thing is, the site exists, but is empty. Which tells me that they are rather messy..
How hard is it to have a age that tells you that this is discontinued and point to appropriate replacements?

Wacom is industry standard for tablets, and while that is not reason alone to go with one brand or another, they do make quality products.
I tend to get wary if I only see one product for a market...

cheers
afx

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:11:32 »
Their website might be messy, but their products are very focused. Well designed in my opinion, there is nothing to complain about (I use a 4th gen medium sized tablet).

I don't know whether one should worry about it, but I've never seen anyone use a different brand of tablet professionally. There might be some knockoffs I don't know about.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 18:30:55 »
 So after two months some feedback.

I've tried the XP-Pen 03 on Windows, and it worked absolutely fine apart from a bug with Capture One where one could have either pressure sensitivity or the second mouse button. Could not recheck with the latest C1 build, but PhaseOne did open a bug for this, so it hopefully is fixed by now. LightRoom worked just fine with it.

One the Mac it worked just fine everywhere I tried, including C1.

After two weeks I shipped it onwards to my sister who has been using it happily since it arrived (she uses Macs and the whole Adobe zoo). She often uses drawing paper on top and traces her pen sketches with the tablet.

For my own use it is definitely too big. The bit of retouching I do is easily done on the small Bamboo. So I did not order one for myself.

cheers
afx

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 22:03:24 »
Thanks Andreas. I´m doing fine with my Wacom and was not aware of the options either. It is nice to have some or at least one.